1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating White Sheer Day Dress- 1930's?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Emma Taghon, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Emma Taghon

Emma Taghon Registered Guest

[​IMG]
    I am trying to determine the year or a general time frame on this dress. It was given to me by a friend years ago and I didn't think much of it. Now as I am researching it, I think it may be older than I originally thought. At first I thought it was a 1970's prairie style dress, but now due to the waistline and the small measurements (B 30", W 25") I think it may be 1930's or earlier. I am also trying to determine the fabric. Is it voile? I have done much research but I want to be sure. Please let me know if anyone has any insight.

It is swiss dot, with hook and eye enclosures along the side ribs and waist area and has a small piece of elastic from the shoulder to sleeve cuff to create the puff sleeve.
    In the photo you cannot see, but it is floor length.
    There are no labels.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    acceber likes this.
  2. I love swiss dot fabrics! Your beautiful dress does appear to have 1930s styling. Others would be able to be more definite with the dating. Close-up photos would be helpful: seam finishes and closure.

3. Emma Taghon

Emma Taghon Registered Guest

IMG_3905.JPG IMG_3906.JPG IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3910.JPG IMG_3909.JPG
    Here are some pictures of the seams and closures. Also shown is the elastic on the sleeves I mentioned. Some things could have been added later, since the hook and eyes are not all the same kind and some are backwards. Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member