1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating white victorian? eyelet slip dress + cleaning

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by stainedglass, Sep 16, 2017.

1. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

Hi all, I just found this really cool white cotton eyelet dress that looks to be Victorian or Edwardian. I'm not the best at dating, especially between these two eras so I'd really appreciate some insight on what year this could be from. The bodice is a sheer gauzy cotton with eyelet detailing and a drawstring in the collar with two little pink tassels at the end in the back. There is a large rectangular patch of fabric on the front.
    Also, there are quite a lot of stains and holes on this garment. I gave it a soak and it didn't seem to help much, i've attached a photo of the armpits. Just wondering, what do you all do when you find antique garments like this, but they're in poor condition? I felt I couldn't not pick this up, but I'm not sure it was worth buying to sell. It's pretty much completely unwearable. Let me know please! Thanks
    IMG_2017.JPG IMG_2019.JPG IMG_2042.JPG IMG_2060.JPG

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Nice find. I think this could be called an underdress to be worn under a white sheer cotton (over) dress. I can't help with the dating, though. The neckline drawstring with tassels would typically tie together at the mid front. The bodice appears to be bias cut so it will smoothly conform to the body. If the holes are tiny - pinholes - it may be best to just ignore them. Somewhat larger ones might be lightly darned.
    Is the rectangular patch on the lower mid front skirt? It may have been put there as a modesty panel. Heaven forbid that one could see through sheer dresses to see that a woman had two legs! Remember the furor over unmarried Princess Diana wearing such a dress?
    Very badly stained underarm stains such as on this dress will disappear when soaked in an equal mixture of ammonia and liquid non chlorine hydrogen peroxide bleach. Labels keep changing, but Seventh Generation has one. Also Chlorox2 is one. Rinse several times after soaking. Good luck,
    Marian

Flannery Crane likes this.
  3. stainedglass

stainedglass Registered Guest

I thought the drawstring might go in the front, but there's a seam right down the middle on that side so I thought it would be the back. It is bias cut, and the holes are pretty big. And yes, the patch is on the lower mid front. Thanks for the advice on the stains! I'll definitely try that

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think its might be a summer underdress for the sheer cotton dresses of the 1910s. 1915 - 1918 or so?