1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Whiting & Davis purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenny, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

Hey guys,

The style of this Whiting & Davis purse seems very art deco.

What do you think?

Attached Files:

• W&D_1.jpg
      W&D_1.jpg
      File size:
      83.6 KB
      Views:
    • W&D.jpg
      W&D.jpg
      File size:
      131.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Jenny,

I agree that the frame of the purse has an Art Deco feeling but I am fairly sure that it is later - most probably made after WWII. The "fringe" on a period Deco piece would be narrower. The label on your purse matches the one in our Label Resource from a gold mesh bag made after WWII:

upload_2016-2-22_14-55-25.png

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/whiting-davis/

If it were earlier it would have the earlier label.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I agree with Linn, I'd be likely to say 60s to go with some of the 20s style dresses that were around.

4. Jenny

Jenny Registered Guest

thank you guys!

5. Paolo Ercolani

Paolo Ercolani VFG Member

Hi, i've come across this thread and wanted to share somethign with you..

as you can see in the attached ad from Vogue Nov. 1943, in the outlined blue circle there's the label which is reported here to be post war, which is evidently not correct as the ad shows...

moreover it must be far earlier tha WWII as at the time of the ad W&D wasn't making bags anymore, instead working for the war industry and the labels must have been used before (years?)...

Hope it helps, IMHO the info in the lable resource about the label is not correct as evidenced from the ad.

Cheers
    PAolo

Attirelyvintage likes this.