1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De la Renta label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Jul 9, 2012.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

There is a Oscar label in the library that says it's from a 1980's caftan. Unfortunately, I can't read the word that starts with an SW*** that is on the lower right corner of the label. I have a dress with the same label and I can't read it on that either. Who's got good eyes? OscarCaftan4.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It looks like Swirl to me only they've tried to styalise it by combining the stalk of the i for the backbone of the capital R

3. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Thanks very much. I sure don't know who termed getting old "the golden years". Haven't found anything golden about them. You can't see as well, hear as well....

Here's the dress. Would this be considered a caftan?

OscarCaftan.jpg

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

No I don't believe so, I had to look up Caftan / Kaftan but the broad definition seems to deem it has long sleeves and often buttons up the front in a loose style.
    Your dress looks much like the late 70's/ early 80's Sherman dress I am wearing now and has a fitted top and waist, almost sleeveless with a slightly gathered long skirt. Mine has a long metal zip down the back, does yours have any fastenings or does it just slip on?

5. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

It slips on but there is a 6 inch or so opening in the back and a button/loop closure at the neck.

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

7. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Thank you very much!