1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Department Stores

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by claireshaeffer, Feb 21, 2017.

1. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I love that blog.

Growing up in Jenkintown, Pennsylvania I had a Wanamakers, Strawbridge & Clothier, Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor & Bonwit Teller all within walking distance.

3. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Wow! I grew up in Americus, GA. We had Vogue and Cohens, but they had nice rtw. Vogue supplied Rosalyn with some of her clothes.

4. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

The two main department stores I remember from growing up in Pittsburgh were Joseph Horne Co. and Kaufmann's.
    Both were pretty fabulous.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

They all look fab! I was at a doll collectors convention in Philadelphia a few years ago and they offered a tour of Macy's - what used to be Wanamakers. I only did it because it was paired together with another tour that I really wanted to go on (movie locations). Anyway, it's still an amazing building, and for someone like me who had not really been aware of the story of all those fabulous old department stores in the US, it was actually quite interesting.

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

My mom was a shopper extraordinaire and we LIVED in Joseph Magnin which was the BEST. Or I Magnin. This was in the Bay Area. My grandmother liked walking down the hill to Capwell's and a special treat was going on Bart to I Magnin or Gump's.

7. Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

In Montreal these are the ones I can remember. We had Ogilvy's, Eaton's, Simpsons and Dupuis Frères. The only remaining department store is Morgan's (which was bought out by Hudson's Bay Co in 1960 and named the Bay in Quebec in 1972 and Holt Renfrew.

These are all mentioned in the blog under Montreal that Claire has linked to.

Nice to see that this blog will become a website soon.

9. northstarvintage

@Midge My mother used to take us into Philadelphia for Christmas and I have very fond memories of going to the old Wanamakers, with the big eagle sculpture, listening to the pipe organ. Strawbridge's had a little tram that ran around the top of the walls of the toy section. I need to see if I can find a picture of this.

10. northstarvintage

Actually it was Wanamakers. I can't believe my mother let us ride this thing!

WanamakerMonorail.jpg

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

WOW! I rode a little train in the Eaton's Toyland Christmas Dept., nothing like this! If I can remember correctly it went through a little tunnel with all sorts of Christmas scenery and of course loads of toys! I can honestly say that I enjoyed this train ride even more than sitting on Santa's lap.

I did find this one photo but this may have been the one in Toronto and not Montreal.

toyland-train-toronto.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  12. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member