1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designer Info

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by rfc100, Dec 28, 2004.

1. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Does anyone know anything about the Lady Lynn label? I have a darling coat from The May Company with that label on it, and I can't find any information.

2. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

Lady Lynn could have possibly been an in house label for May department stores. but i am not 100% positive. Do you have a scanner to scan the label or can you take a clear photo of it? We don't have it in the label resource, and I am sure Lizzie would be happy to have it. Do you have a date on the coat/decade? There are a lot of smaller labels out there that there is just not a ton of info on. Some are boutique labels, some only available regionally, or some department store labels that just were not documented thorughly at the time and in retrospect that is quite a shame.

Chris

3. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Thank you for your reply. Actually, I'm always looking for a date, which is the reason for all my posts. I seem to find a lot of undocumented items...I've cut and pasted both labels onto one pic. The May Company must have only been in Canada at one time, since the label mentions all Canadian territories.

Rachel

4. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Actually, the Milgrim and/or Young Misses label may be what I'm looking for, now that I see it blown up.

R

5. Patentleathershoes

Well, just like Sears and JC Penney had a canadian division i don't doubt that the May stores had a Canadian division too and would mention the big cities in Canada instead.

anything that says "Young Miss" would be a juniors line.

6. Patentleathershoes

This is confusing...same garment, right? To me the May company label looks way older than the Lady Lynn Label. THe woolmark looks 70s to me, but the May company label looks many years older to me so I may be totally off. I forget at the moment when the woolmark showed up. So it was probably made by Milgram, it was their Lady Lynn Young Miss line, and they made it exclusively for the May Company or it was sold by them.

Maybe someone else tonight or tomorrow will jump in with more insight into this mystery...

7. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Yes, the labels are from the same coat. I would agree it's a junior line, but it sure is a big junior! I'm a women's size 6 and it fits me perfectly. It's really a beautiful coat, with wild lucite buttons. I'll post the whole thing, maybe the style will be indicative.

Again, I always seem to have items that are hard to ID.

R

8. Patentleathershoes

That jacket is seriously cool, I love it! I would say definitely 70s, but I don't know the exact year. It has the wider lapel and notched collar. You see a lot of notched collars where the top portion juts out farther than the main lapel in the 40s also, but the proportions for 40s are much narrower.

Re: junior sizes..
    Junior sizes can be bigger. Its the cut that is different, just like today''s Juniors department. Juniors sizes go up to 15 and Junior Plus sizes go up to 21 and even up to 25 in some stores. In the 50s, it probably wasn't true..but there were "half sizes" that worked better for petities and juniors as you went up the scale versus just "junior miss" I know size 8-10 were considered junior miss back then and they were about a 30-33 bust.

According to JCPenneys.com, these are dimensions of the wearer not the flat measurements of the clothing (modern measures)

A misses size 6 is a 34 1/2-35 bust, 26 1/2-27 waist and 37-37 1/2

A petite 6 is 34-34 1/2 bust, 26, 26.5 waist, and 36, 36.5 hip

A juniors 5 is 33-33.5/25-25.5/35.5-36
    A juniors 7 is 34-34.5/26-26.5/36.5/37
    a 9 is 35-35½/27-27½/37½-38

The bust/hip/waist in juniors is more comparable to a petite proportion, but since the junior line is made for women 5 3.5" - 5 7.5", the rise is longer and it creates a slimmer cut, where a misses size assumes you have a fuller hip compared to waist. It makes sense to me because it corresponds right in line with the "half sizes" that were available back then. But I will point out that some of the half sizes were apropriate in length for the taller lady and some were not. I have two half size dresses that the shoulder to waist ratio is small, but based on the skirt length it would be entirely aprorpiate for a taller lady than I with a smaller torso(as i am short) , but the other one isn't.

By the way, The May company owns Filene's Department stores currently and I forget what the other nameplates are.

9. Patentleathershoes

Here are the labels shrunk down in case Lizzie wants em

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Thank you for the response (and compliment on my coat), I was thinking 70s too, but the Union label throws me off. It's an older style one, which doesn't mention the 'CIO', so it means pre-1955. The size info was also appreciated.

R

11. rfc100

rfc100 Registered Guest

Thank you for the response (and compliment on my coat), I was thinking 70s too, but the Union label throws me off. It's an older style one, which doesn't mention the 'CIO', so it means pre-1955. The size info was also appreciated.

R

12. Patentleathershoes

I have seen union labels I thought were older than 70s but they turn out not to be. It is possible that the manufacturer had some left over and kept using them (waste not want not and I don't know if it was enforced to have the exact current label or just a union label) , it is possible that the label is very similar to the older one but not exact. Maybe regions of unions were different as well from country to country. The one with the seal always confuses me, but the ones with the sewing machine on them are older. I even had one on a newer dress...but it was an all black seal printed on a stiff white label unlike the fabric ones of earlier.

When in doubt i weigh out all the other factors...the style features, and any other labels involved sometimes as well and average them all out.

13. Patentleathershoes

Anyone have any better info/resource on union labels out of my curiosity?

14. Patentleathershoes

Just bumping this thread up for Lizzie or if anyone has anything to add :)

15. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Thanks Chris!

16. Patentleathershoes