1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Designer Walter or Malter?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by bstauberschiappa, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bstauberschiappa

bstauberschiappa Registered Guest

I have several lovely suits from my grandmother with the label "Custom Made By Walter (Malter?) Beverly Hills". Does anyone know this name? Her other suits include Adrian, Irene, Jean Louis, so I believe this is a "good" name. It is beautifully made with lots of details, but I can't seem to find anything on this name. Also, W or M (even though M sounds strange.) Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

It's Malter, and it is a good name. In the 1946 ad below, the Malter gabardine suit (upper left) retailed for $179, which would be over $2000 today. Your grandmother must have been a very stylish and well-dressed woman!

[​IMG]

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

4. bstauberschiappa

5. bstauberschiappa

Thank you for the information. And what a nice thing to say about my grandmother. Yes, she was. And in those days they had a hat, bag, and shoes for every outfit. Gloves too. Would have been fun I think. Of course, they also wore girdles.

Rue_de_la_Paix and Pinkcoke like this.
  6. I am glad you received your answer. How special to have something from your family.

7. Tlynn

Tlynn Registered Guest

Also looking for information on Malter. My grandmother who was born in 1900 had the jacket in photos. I have had for decades but will never fit its petite size. It is beautifully made with weights all along the bottom hem.

Attached Files: