1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperately trying to identify this top by photo!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dresswhisperer, Jan 23, 2018.

1. dresswhisperer

dresswhisperer Registered Guest

I know, it's nothing noteworthy, or rare, but I would be so grateful if anyone could tell me who made this, or a place where I could identify it. Thank you if you can help me! rnrnrn.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. dresswhisperer

This has the embroided look under the buttons if it helps identify it.

3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Can you show us a bit more? Seams, label, entire garment. Those may help in identifying.

4. yumyumvintage

yumyumvintage VFG Member

1970's early 80's by the cut the buttons looks older

5. dresswhisperer

Unfortuneatly this is the only photo I have. I was so hopeful that someone might have ideas on how to determine who made it. It's a needle in a hay stack for sure!

6. dresswhisperer

Just curious if anyone might know of other places I could post my photo, that might garner that knowing eye? Thank you!

7. What do you mean by 'embroided look under the buttons'? Is there a decorative feature that we can't see in the photos?

I agree with Chris: late '70s to early '80s, buttons might not be original.

It's a common style that was probably mass produced by more than one company. Why do you want to know who made it? It's an easily reproduced style if you want another. These tops were often worn out and thrown away so finding another will be hard; they're out there but any search terms mean you'll be looking through a lot of similar tops to find one.

yumyumvintage likes this.
  8. dresswhisperer

Circa vintage, wrong choice of words possibly, I just meant that there is a slight detail there under the buttons running the length of that portion if you look closely. As stupid as it sounds, I put the one photo on my computer from the original ebay listing, then forgot all about it, and the ad is long expired by now. I sure regret not just buying it. After sweeping the internet a bit, and looking at styles, I believe it's a Lands End. I haven't found a match, but I see similarities that lead me to believe that. I'll keep looking, and eventually get there I believe. Still, if anyone has suggestions on where to post my photo to get ideas, I sure appreciate the input!

9. Ah, thank you. The centre front opening is placket style and the stitching is just how this style is made. It’s to secure the bottom end so it’s stronger.

In Australia these tops were made by a company called Sussan. It’s a simple style so it’s likely other companies made them too.

Have you tried google image search to find something similar?

10. If it is Lands End, it is not very old. Maybe early 2000s.
    Have you tried checking out your thrift shops?

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

As others have mentioned, it is a fairly generic style so it is difficult to determine the maker.

I would call the style a Henley tee shirt with ruffled collar. Henley refers to the buttoned placket.

If you Google "Henley tee shirt with ruffled collar", you get a lot of results, dozens of makers of similar shirts, and you might just have a shot at finding who made it, or at least find a very similar one to yours. You could also add "embroidered placket" and "pink" as key words.

Knowing the fabric will help too, but you do not have the actual shirt so that rules that out. Likely a cotton or cotton/poly.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  12. dresswhisperer

Excellent! Thank you for the input! I'm looking whenever I get the chance.

13. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

This J. Crew shirt looks very much like the one you seek...
    607D933D-300C-48DE-8677-127477D528FE.jpeg

14. dresswhisperer

I added it to my search! Thank you! Keep the suggestions coming!

15. dresswhisperer

Oh I was sure hoping I'd be able to figure this one out. If I make any headway, I'll post it up!

16. dresswhisperer

Still searching.

17. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Another similar brand is Tory Burch, and its 'Lidia' brand of ruffled polos. Not exact though. Click on thumbnail below.

toryburch.jpg

18. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

The puppy is ADORABLE! Good luck finding the shirt you want.

19. dresswhisperer

Thank you! That's my little girl, Cricket. She's all grown up by now, but still a little doll!

20. If you think it might be Lands End, I would contact them. They might be able to help you.