1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deweese Design information, pics, labels...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by *capricornvintage*, Jun 20, 2007.

1. HI! I finally got my act together for that Deweese info, AND I finally found some definitive information on her:

In 1934 Mary Ann Deweese entered the California clothing industry by designing for Los Angles Knitting Mills. She then left to design sportswear for Sandeze, another California clothing house. She designed there for 3 years. Mary Ann then spent 12 years as head designer for Catalina, where she received world-wide acclaim as a designer.

She worked with top studio designers on suits for the stars and for many years, designed the swimsuits worn in the Miss America pageant. She also worked with Schiaparelli. Mary Ann was credited with such innovations as texture use, including Jacquard knits and appliquéd stretch cottons. She also introduced “sweetheart” matching swimwear & sportswear for men and women.

Having reached peaked success with Catalina she decided to launch her own company in 1951, called “Deweese Designs” turning out high-fashion swimsuits and sundresses. Her early swimsuits were often decorated with fanciful appliques and rhinestones. In 1961, she designed the official U.S. Team suits for the World Water Team Championships and the Olympics in 1960.

The “Deweese Designs” label lasted until at least 1984, (more information needed on that).

Bibliography: “The Long Beach California Independent, 8/13/1961”, Mary Ellis Fashion Editor

Submitted by *capricornvintage*

2. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Wonderful! You can really see the vestiges of late Catalina style in the early DeWeese designs. Thank you so much for this wonderful contribution.

Does the bust of the dress have a frilly detail along the top? I've never seen one like that. And what a fabulous print!

:USETHUMBUP:

Carolyn

3. wyomingvintage

wyomingvintage VFG Member

Wow Angie that is so great! Thanks for doing all that work. My personal favorite piece of vintage is a 50's Deweese.
    So who has some pictures of a sweetheart set?
    Thank you so much for doing all that work and sharing that fabulous information :USETHUMBUP:

4. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

Excellent Angie, thanks so much! I've got her bio book, but I haven't started reading it yet.

5. NovaFashions

NovaFashions VFG Member

LOVE those!

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Angie, thanks SO much for submitting this. This is one of those labels for which there has been more mis-information than facts, so it's great to see what you have found.

Lizzie

7. Your'e welcome! I thought it would be nice to see the earlier pieces, as most of what is seen are the 70's sun dresses. There really is a big difference between them and the older ones.

yes, the seashell dress just sold this week, and had rows of pink ruffles.

I have some ads with the sweetheart sets in them....

I need to get that Mary Ann Deweese bio book! I didn't know there was one. I read the rose marie reid one. off to amazon......

8. glamoursurf

glamoursurf Alumni

Whoops, my bad, it's Rose Marie Reid, just checked. Sorry for any confusion. It's buried in my book pile.