1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

did Chanel and Anna Sui totally rip off vintage?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by debutanteclothing, Aug 25, 2008.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

2. Wow, that Anna Sui bag is an EXACT copy. Did someone at Anna Sui buy the vintage one and copy the design?!

3. debutanteclothing

That's what I am thinking. It is EXACT.

4. dorotheascloset

dorotheascloset Registered Guest

Oh my God, they DID buy that bag!!! The address from Paypal was for an assistant to Anna Sui.

Wow. I mean....wow. I am stunned. I can certainly put this on my site, right?

Wow.

Thanks for the heads up Sandra!!!!

Ang

5. :wow22:

6. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

7. dorotheascloset

The more I think about this the more it annoys me.

Why should any designer be allowed to put their name on something they didnt remotely even DESIGN? Aside from how tacky it is, how flagrantly it dupes your customers and clients, how does someone live with themselves?

I'd be fine with it being inspiration for a new bag, even slightly modified. But this isnt design. And she's not new to the world of design.

I'm really disgusted.

Ang

8. worth-a-peek

worth-a-peek Alumni

I had the same thoughts.
    Guess Anna ran out of ideas?

Looks like full out plagiarism to me.

9. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

I agree with you 100% Ang. I think this is just as bad as the label switching fiasco of a few months ago, but this is a major design house. I could be a designer too, if I just copied items from my inventory and slapped on a label.

10. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Sandra, you should submit that post to the IFB weekly round up. This needs some media attention!

11. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Oh my.

Now that's really shameless!

Just like any modern designer - I'm sure she has a team of underlings who do much of the designing, with Anna herself probably giving the green light on the best. I'm thinking Anna needs to check out that assistant's offerings more carefully.

Wow.

12. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

And adding --

I think what really bugs me about this is that they must think all us vintage dealers are freaking country bumpkins who wouldn't NOTICE something like this.

I mean, if they're going to profit so hugely off our backs, there really should be a little credit given. They certainly wouldn't have that bag to copy if it wasn't for Ang's hard work!
    But we all know that they don't WANT their buyers thinking too much about the source of their designs -- too many of them would simply turn to vintage!

13. dorotheascloset

Word, Christine. This time YOU said it for me!!!

I may blog it myself, though my blog gets exactly 1/2 a reader a week (ha ha).

For the love of god, that bag was on my front page of the website til a couple days ago as a link to my beaded bag page!!

If Sui really doesnt check up on stuff like that, its too bad. And yeah, Jody, I was thinking the same thing. If I recreated every piece I own that didnt have a label I'd have a killer line of fashions!!

Whats to stop people from buying a handmade, non-licensed item on etsy and ripping IT off? That bag was likely hand crafted by an artisan in Eastern Europe (I think it was from Czechoslavakia) in the 30s.....sad someone can just take that person's design and make money off it, calling it their own.

So annoyed.

Ang

14. debutanteclothing

I was a bit disappointed when I found it was a blatant rip off. I know Anna Sui is very influenced by vintage, she says so herself, and it's obvious in her designs.

I'm wondering:
    this had to have been designed by one of her designers. Most designers don't design everything themselves. They have a team of designers and approve collections.

Could this be YOUR bag which was used as a runway accoutrement rather than it have been mass produced? Although I don't think Candy Pratts Price would show just a one off piece.

In regards to IFB, I was actually thinking of submitting it to Fashionista.com because they do these copyright infringement articles all the time when Forver 21 or Zaras rips off designers. They're HUGE too.

I agree, this deserves some media.

Let's bring the discussion over to my blog so others can get involved!!

Sandra

15. dorotheascloset

I just blogged it myself, too, but no worries about comments on it....Sandra gets way more traffic!!! I just needed to vent.

http://www.real-vintage.com

Thanks again, Sandra, I'll check back in.

Ang

16. dorotheascloset

crap, can I get in trouble for that?

Ang

17. Coutureallure

Coutureallure Alumni

Nicely written, Ang. Love your title!

18. Isn't it nice for us vintage sellers to lend inspiration from our (generally) one of a kind items for top designers to copy? (And yes, you should read total sarcasm in that statement.)

While it's common knowledge that designers have used actual vintage for inspiration for many years, there's a line between "inspiration" and line-for-line designing plagiarism. What she has done is undercut and basically screw over the vintage-selling community as a whole by duping her future buyers into believing she created these "masterpieces" from her own mind, as well as damage her reputation as a creative designing force.

And also, it burns my biscuits. :teeth:

19. dorotheascloset

Should someone contact this Candy person to see how she got the pic? I cant imagine its a runway piece with a picture done like that.....

Ang

20. debutanteclothing

I've emailed someone at Anna Sui to verify whether this bag is being designed for mass consumption or if the bag on the runway was an original vintage piece. We'll see if they respond. I would hate to falsely accuse anyone of any wrong doings.

I compared the pattern, and it doesn't appear to be yours Ang. So either it was photoshoped or it was indeed recreated.

Sandra