1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dier Vargo of Miami, who designed for Shifts Internationale

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Tweety Bird Studio, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Tweety Bird Studio

Tweety Bird Studio Registered Guest

I can't find any info about this designer. Can anyone help?

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Please post a picture of the entire label(s) and I will try to help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  3. Tweety Bird Studio

I've uploaded a picture. Any info. would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Your label says Dior Vargas and if you Google:

"Dior Vargas" Fashion designer

You will find references to that designer. I will look through my other resources.

5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a 1976 reference to a "...group of wall coverings and fabrics created by Hawaiian designer Dior Vargas."

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From a 1969 Hawaiian city directory...

image.jpeg

7. Tweety Bird Studio

Thanks so much! That gives me allot more to go on. His signature is also on the front of the dress, printed onto the fabric.

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It seems Vargas was primarily a textile designer. A 1977 Miami newspaper article about him said he met in Honolulu an elderly Japanese artist named Takeo Nakamura. As Nakamura was old and sick he decided to tell Vargas his secret technique for batiks, with the promise that Vargas would continue it, which he did apparently.

PLEASE NOTE: This is for educational purposes only and the photo cannot be used in a sale venue.

image.jpeg

9. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

A 1988 Palm Beach FL classified ad offered an original painting by Dior Vargas.

Finally, I think, it appears Vargas was born in 1930 and died in 2006.

Edited to add it looks like Vargas also lived in Long Beach, CA and Miami, in addition to Hawaii.

10. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Interesting. I have always loved the Shifts Internationale prints and never knew the story behind them.

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Susan, I am not sure if you mean Vargas is the story behind them, but I think he is just one of many designers who worked for them.

12. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

OK, this really will be the last one about Vargas. I found a 1971 ad that announced: "Now, for the first time, an exciting collection by Dior Vargas for Shifts Internationale of Miami..." So that should give us the earliest possible date for your dress.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  13. Tweety Bird Studio

That last bit of info. was very helpful, as I wanted to pinpoint the decade. Thanks so much!

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

15. Dee Dee Hall

Dee Dee Hall Registered Guest

I sold a dress with this label a short time ago. Lovely dress. I'll see if I can find a pic and post for you.

16. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Nahhh, but thanks for the kind words.

17. Dee Dee Hall

These were all I could come up with. I deleted most of them as I no longer have the dress.

Attached Files:

18. Tweety Bird Studio

I've added a photo of the dress. It's posted on my etsy site, Tweety Bird Studio.

Attached Files:

19. Dee Dee Hall

Oh lookie there. It has the same type of trim on the dress. Nice by the way...Anyhow I think mine was a 70's dress...

20. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Lynne, I just thought that the dresses were special and that there had to be someone (or several people) who were responsible. It's always good to know a little about the background of a company.

And I agree, you are the best at sleuthing!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.