1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divine wool crepe dress 40''s 50's era? Help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Katie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Divine wool crepe dress 40\'\'s 50\'s era? Help!

Found this gorgeous dress recently and would love some help as to what era it comes from. Its a deep khaki green as in the darker pics and appears to be a light wool crepe. Lets the light through when backlit but isnt as transparent as it appears in my pics.
    It has beautiful pleating from the panel at the centre bodice, a centre pleat in the skirt section and a fabulous detail on the skirt front that makes it look like it has pockets. Double elbow darts and turnback stitched cuffs.
    Side metal ziper no name on it, Fabric covered buttons at the back and a belt across the back with a leather backing.
    Machine stitched and ALL the raw fabric edges have been handstitched to prevent fraying, oh my!
    In absolutely perfect condition but deserves a professional press.
    In anticipation :)
    Katie

2. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

One day I will know how to post multiple pics all at once :)

3. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Oh, and shoulder pads

4. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Wow! I love it. Definitely 40s.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. Agree: 40s. That's quite some dress!

Nicole

7. Looks 40's to me too. And it's my favourite colour. Just divine. :) :drinkingtoast:

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i also agree on 40s ~ delicious find!!

nice to see you posting, Katie!!

btw, do you use html code? do you have a photo host? ( Flickr? photobucket??) if so, its easy smeasy html to post more than one photo ~

9. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

THANK U THANK U THANK U!

Thanks so much guys for confirming my not very educated guess! Not too experienced on the early stuff..
    It is an absolute stunner of a dress, not seen one like this before and cant find any fault, looks like its hot off the sewing table!

Mary thanks for the tip, Im hopeless at HTML but have used flikr. So do I just insert the link in the text box?

Nicole, spotted u with your swimwear collection on the ABC Friday night, WOW!
    Katie

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

yes, flickr is super easy. once you get the size of your photo (around 400 pixels wide max here is good to fit in the posts) just pop their html url in between the quote marks below

< img src=" ">

then take out any extra space between the front < and the "i"

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Yes, 40s!

That is one special dress--I love how the rear view of the bodice is as interesting as the front!

12. yep 40s.. the big clue are the shoulder pads.. they virtually disappear at the 1950 mark...I am sure some pieces may have had shoulder pads in the early 50s but I have not personally come across any. Also zippers help. You see side zippers into the midish 50s then they go to the back. So if you suspect 40s/50s and the zipper is in the back chances are it is the later (50s)

This one has a side metal zipper I see that but I was just letting you know FYI :) for future reference :)

And it is LOVELY are you gonna keep her?

13. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

:wow22:

Gorgeous dress!!!! 40s, as everyone agrees!

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

A real gem! very nice 40s dress, I do hope it's for you!

15. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I LOVE it!!! Fabulous dress. Is it for you?

Linn

16. joules

joules VFG Member

Such wonderful design styling and patternmaking were involved here. Fabulous forties all the way, and the colour is to-die-for!

17. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

This looks to be early 1950's to me. Apart from the cut, the back detail (buttons, belt), collar and the turn-back sleeve cuffs show early Fifties styling. Shoulder pads and padding continued. A lot of people mark the Forties, particularly the WW11 period with big shoulder pads but this dress does not have them or the post-war look.

The zip/zipper debate. Again, side zips were common in the early Forties but there were back zips also - short and long. In general, the construction of the dress from the 'New Look' and on into the Fifties accentuated the upper body and the placing of closures and zips was so important to creating the fitted bodice that you will find zips at the back and at the side.

In dating the 1940's period you have to be careful in generalising. You can define the decade in two parts - 1940(39)-46 and 1946-50 - because the post-war economies and social conditions changed so did the fashions. If you look at a home sewn dress from the early Fifties you often find the fabric and closures are from the previous decade. People were still careful and thrifty with dressmaking.

18. I was giving generalized tips for when you are just starting out, from the pictures it has some decent sized shoulder pads. the cuffs too made me think 50s but then i considered the the high neck line and decided 40s... just my theory lol... is this home made or is there any kind of label? Turn it inside out and check everything including skirt seams, there may be a hidden size tag?

19. Katie

Katie Registered Guest

Looks like Ive started a debate on 40's versus 50's. To me it looks more 40's it just has that austere yet feminine look about it.
    Im positive its handmade, all the raw edges are neatly handstitched, its only the back of the belt buckle that has a more professional 'look' about it. Saying that though, it is exquisitely crafted, I do sew and I cannot fault anything about this dress at all.
    Unfortunately this wouldnt fit me even if I gave up food for a long period of time so it will be sold, and I really should get a paid membership so I can add my selling sites :)
    Thanks Mary for the photo tips, next time I will get it organised, but not today, have been up since 5am for a fair and its 39 degrees C here in Perth today. Yuk! No lighting problems for photos here, even in winter :)
    Thanks guys, love your site!
    Katie

20. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Just curious - what are the measurements? It's a fabulous dress.

Linn