1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else remember or miss the full length Fox fur coat trend of the 1980s

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by KEMN54, Jan 19, 2023.

1. KEMN54

KEMN54 Registered Guest

Okay I was born in 1954 and raised and spent my entire life in Minneapolis Minnesota and one thing about that time was full length Fox fur coats were huge in style. I remember in the early 1980s seeing ads on tv and in the newspaper of women wearing full length Fox fur coats and I would also see women on the streets wearing them and a few women from my office that I worked with had them and I was so jealous of them. I remember back in 1983 my mom got a full length silver Fox fur coat and then in 1984 my sister got a full length shadow Fox fur coat for her birthday and then I remember come December I went with my mom and my sister to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and out of the three of them I was the only woman without a fur coat. I remember standing in line in a sea of full length foxes, minks, sables and lynx’s and I remember hating being stuck in my cloth coat in a crowd of women in beautiful furs. After that I was determined to get a full length Fox fur coat by next Christmas so I saved up as much money as possible and reached into my savings and I took my husband with me to several fur coat stores and I tried on like a 100 full length Fox fur coats until I found the perfect full length golden island Fox fur coat. My husband agreed to help me pay for it and we were able to get it on a monthly payment plan and we were able to buy it and I got it as an early Christmas present and I will never forget the feeling of joy I had saying goodbye fo my cloth coat and hello to my beautiful full length golden island Fox fur coat. I will never forget my sister’s jaw dropping when she saw my coat and then she became the one jealous of my fur. It also felt so good going to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra the next year with my mom and sister and three of us all going decked out in our full length Fox fur coats. I remember wearing the coat so much to work and to as many possible places. I just loved wearing that coat so much and I haven’t been able to wear it since like 2009 since full length Fox fur coats have gone completely out of style. I honestly wish I had a time machine so I could go back to 1986 and wear my full length golden island Fox fur coat on the streets of Minneapolis once again.

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a wonderful look back at a fashion trend of the 1980s, and I liked hearing your personal story.

I did not have a fox fur (other than my mom's silver fox 1940s jacket) but I remember the full length fur trend and I did have a beautiful full length raccoon coat in the mid 1980s which was a gift from my boyfriend at the time. I loved it! Sold it when I moved to a warmer climate, but it sure was great when I wore it.

3. KEMN54

KEMN54 Registered Guest

I like Racoon a lot. I hope you enjoyed wearing your fur as much as I did with mine. I miss the days of wearing my fur out and getting so much attention on my fur and also bonding with random women who were also wearing fur when I went out and talking about our furs together. Those were the days.

Rue_de_la_Paix likes this.
  4. shimran

shimran Registered Guest

Old people are lucky to have fox fur coats. The use of real fur in fashion has become a controversial issue, with some advocating for synthetic alternatives or a ban on fur farming.