1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have a trick to remove moth ball smell?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AnyDayNow, Mar 19, 2008.

1. AnyDayNow

AnyDayNow Registered Guest

I have a gorgeous silk hanae mori dress that smells like moth balls. I went ahead and washed it - now it looks great but I can still smell a lingering of the moth balls. What can I do to make it go away completely?

2. Alleycats

Alleycats VFG Member

Fresh air. If you can't put it outside now, wait to list it until you can. Just keep putting it outside for a few hours a day until it is gone.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I have found the fresh air to work too! You have to be patient and of course watch out for rain!

4. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

I agree with the fresh air idea, but if you steam it, make sure to do it out on the porch. That steam will re-awaken the scent.
    I've done air/steam/air/steam before to help scurry the scent away.

5. AnyDayNow

I've done air/steam/air/steam before to help scurry the scent away.

I think I will start doing that tommorrow. Thanks.

6. Gilo49

Gilo49 Alumni

I have used white vinegar and baking soda in a cold water wash. It seems to help.

7. AnyDayNow

After a bath, a steam, and last night and today outside I already can't smell it anymore. I'm going to steam it again though just to make sure.

Thanks!!!