1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know or remember this 70's Novelty Art

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by heavensent-hellbent, Jan 22, 2005.

1. heavensent-hellbent

heavensent-hellbent Registered Guest

Does anyone know or remember this 70\'s Novelty Art

And if it's anything spesh or just something that's cool because it's cool?

Art Deco ladies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the signature and the tag both read A Lawlings or A Tawlings? It's really hard to tell. Oh + coconut beach, fla.

TIA! I have tons of questions tonight, getting ready to list a bunch on the VC-Mall. ^_^

stacey

2. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

No, but I wish I was in Florida right about now. We've had a whole week of this cold snap - -20 and colder! BRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

Cool skirt!

Deb

3. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

How very cool!!! Maybe someone with more art knowledge will come along soon......

Very nice! What is the material?

Gail

4. dibs2002

dibs2002 Registered Guest

From the pix it looks like a very thick cotton or canvas...

5. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

I just searched google and vivisimo and could not find any art connection with a Lawlings or Tawlings.

This is a really great skirt and I love the undulating wave/lady
    print. Looks rather Peter Marx'sh.

Sue

6. heavensent-hellbent

heavensent-hellbent Registered Guest

It's ummmm cotton/poly/lycra/spandex. yes, stretchy!

i wish i were in florida right now too. i shovelled 15 inches of white stuff off my walk and porch. :( i'm not happy and neither is my back . owie.

7. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

I would say more Peter Max-ish than Deco but much more understated. TO me it looks like a lady walking away from you in a white gown (or orangey red) with a very low cut back....but it could be like an optical illusion. Definitely cool.

8. connie

connie Alumni

It looks like it was based on a Gustave Klimt painting. I looked through all my art books but I couldn't find an exact painting it might have been based on. In any case, you might use the phrase Art Nouveau instead of Art Deco as it has the nice flowy feel of Art Nouveau as opposed to the more formal geometric feel of Art Deco.

I knew that BFA would come in handy one day. ;)
    Connie

9. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

10. Noir*Boudoir

Noir*Boudoir Guest

<i>It looks like it was based on a Gustave Klimt painting</i>

Yes! Sorry for chipping in on this waaaaay too late, but I just wanted to say this really reminded me also of Edvard Munch's paintings of women on evening shorelines - he used that sweeping solid colour for shafts of moonlight, waves, and the curves of the ladies' dresses. Also the red hair - he had a few redheads featuring...

But it must be an original composition by this guy - I really like it!
    Lin