1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't know what to do with vintage beaded purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by NovoNew, May 10, 2021.

1. NovoNew

NovoNew Registered Guest

My mom has several vintage beaded purses from my grandmother. We think they are from the 1950's. She doesn't want them, they have been sitting in a drawer for decades. From the research I did, I think this is probably the most interesting one. It is made in France. The body of the bag appears to have all of the beads. The handle is missing a handful of beads. The hardware is in excellent condition. There are a few stray threads around where the bag meets the hardware.
    Any advice on potential value and what to do with this would be helpful.

Attached Files:

2. NovoNew

NovoNew Registered Guest

This one is in the worst condition. Is it worth fixing? It's missing one of the large beads on the hardware, has what looks like a red wine stain on the back and several lines of beads are loose on the body of the bag.

Attached Files:

3. NaoimiW

NaoimiW Registered Guest

If you are handy with a needle and thread, it can be pretty easy to attach loose beaded threads with some tacks and you can find some matching beads and fill in any areas where they are missing with a smaller needle (so it can pass through the bead hole.) I have repaired a beaded belt and beaded clutch in this way before.

Distantdetails likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

That might indeed be the way - at least to try and secure the beads.

The bags are very pretty and I think 1950s makes sense. We can't give valuations here on the forums, but you could look up similar sold items on Ebay to get an idea.

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Aww, so beautiful. These are often noted as French micro-beaded bags. Even though not marked as such, the second appears to be of the same origin.

Distantdetails likes this.