1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

I picked up this set the other day and am wondering if anyone might randomly recognize the maker? The only tag I can find is the size tag.

Also, cleaning question- the color is a pale Tiffany/Robin's egg blue but there are areas that I can't tell if they're faded or just dirty. I'd like to give it a gentle hand wash but can't tell what the material is (close-up pics below), and am also concerned bc of the old metal rhinestone prongs. I'd hate to have to remove them all to wash but that's probably the best idea, right?
    IMG_20220327_141517.jpg IMG_20220327_141640.jpg IMG_20220327_141626.jpg IMG_20220327_141853.jpg IMG_20220327_141834.jpg IMG_20220327_141800.jpg

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

You're right to be wary of hand washing something with metallic elements, because of the potential for rust. If it was buttons, removing and reattaching would be pretty simple. For me, removing prongset rhinestones with (or without) a plan for reattaching would be a bridge too far.

kittenteethvintage likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I had that same dress and jacket, but my dress had a bit more of the metallic trimming. I sold it "as is" and was afraid to send it to a cleaner, but it was fairly clean and had only some fading in areas. It did have a label and if I recall a good one at that. That was 10 years ago but I may still have some info on it in my picture files.

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Very pretty!

If it were mine, I'd definitely dry clean it, not wash it, because there are too many different elements.

GemGem and kittenteethvintage like this.
  5. kittenteethvintage

If you could find the info that would be great! I'd love to see a pic of the dress too if you have it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a good brand- this dress is definitely well made.

6. kittenteethvintage

Btw- any idea as to what this fabric may be?

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

My dress was silk faille. yours looks the same.

GemGem likes this.
  8. kittenteethvintage

Any luck in finding pics of the one you had?

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hi,

Well, I have well over 100,000 images stored on everything from old floppy disks to CDs to thumb drives and more. So finding it would take a long long long time and a lot of effort. I have a vague idea where it might be and when I do come across it I will post it here. But don't hold your breath!:)

10. kittenteethvintage

Oh, wow- got it, lol. No problem! :)

11. Rue_de_la_Paix

The best I can remember it was male designer, but I am not 100% sure on that.

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The lining is definitely acetate, and I would expect the faille is also rayon, but like everyone suggested, its got too many parts and its too tailored to wash. I suspect the dye has shifted, which blue is notorious for doing, especially on rayon. It shifts to a nude-pink colour or a grey colour over time, and there s nothing you can do to stop it. The Duchess of Windsor's 1937 Molyneux wedding suit which used to be blue is now grey...
    DUchess1.jpg DUchess2.jpg

13. Rue_de_la_Paix

Jonathan,

I think you are correct, it probably is rayon and not silk.