1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dresses with sequin loss - repair or leave well alone?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Hattysattic, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

Well, it's a bit like closing the barn door after the horse etc. as i decided last night that i could no longer stand the bare patch on the bodice so restitched that area using the original sequins.

I now have no more sequins, but the dress is missing a few patterned (soutache like design) sections and I don't know whether or not to buy replacement ones myself - they are metal though, which are a deal harder to just pick up in the sewing shop - and attempt to redo the bald areas or sell as is?

will add pics later today (inc. my before and after on the bodice so you can check it's up to scratch!)

2. Hattysattic

ok, here's the pics. i mended a patch on the gold bodice - it's now the gold patterned soutache-like section on the bottom left of the skirt as you look at it that's a bit patchy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pardon the less than glam knitting needle pointer, just wanted to make it clear where to look!

so do i sell as is (it does have a couple of minor holes in the top layer of pink tulle, but aside from that is in pretty good shape and very wearable), or struggle to re-do matching sequins?

TIA! :wub:

3. Wow! That is one stunning gown.

It's a toss-up for me. If it's hard to find the sequins (and I admit I don't think I've ever seen metal ones here) maybe you'd be better off selling it as-is.

That said, the dress will be amazing once it's restored. :D

--kari

4. emmapeelpants

emmapeelpants Alumni

*le gasp*

That dress is BEEE-OOO-TIFUL!!! I still have that gold sequined go-go outfit waiting to have the sequins taken from the trouser hem and replaced all over. One day I'll get around to it.....;)

5. seven****

seven**** Guest

I agree it is beautiful! I'd sell it as is Harriet. If it was my dress, I'd probably take out the sequins on the other side to match - especially if the sequins are hard to come by. The angle you've taken the first picture makes it look as if that is the intended design.

Deborah

6. Hattysattic

thanks everyone - and hello liz, good to see you!

i've found a couple in the hem so i think i will do a count up and see exactly how many i need - no point attempting if i don't have enough! will attempt in the next day or so.. i like a nice diversion from listing things
    :D

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

Check the seam allowances, too - I often find spares there

Hollis

8. Hattysattic

thanks hollis - there are a few but maybe not quite enough. i think i'll let it go to auction and hope someone crafty (or not fussy!) wants it! :)

9. I just wanted to say this dress is just beautiful and I would sell as is ( and wear as is, too!).

10. That is a gorgeous dress! And I am very impressed that you have even attempted resewing the sequins. That is way beyond my expertise so needless to say I would have sold it as it was.
    You go girl!
    Marie