1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumb (?) question re: real vs. faux fur

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by MyVintageCocktail, Nov 15, 2005.

1. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

This is a dumb question, but when in doubt, is there any way to tell real from fake fur? I have a coat (pics below) that has the absolute softest fur trim I've ever felt in my life. I honestly cannot tell if it's real or fake. At first I thought it was too soft & perfect to be real, but it is so dense and has, on closer inspection, some coarser light-colored hairs (guard hairs, I think they are called?) that I think it might be real. It's sheared, so I can't tell its original length, and I presume dyed, so I can't tell its original color. I've sold a lot of coats with real fur trim & a lot of faux fur coats, and this fur doesn't look or feel like any of them. But then again, I am way not an expert on furs! I've checked the fur resource here and done other research, and as best I can determine, this could be real or fake sheared otter. I've dug down into the pile and do not see the typical acrylic backing one sees in fakes, and cannot tell from the miniscule amount of base material I can spy under the fur if it's skin or fabric. Any ideas? Oh, and this did come from the finest women's store in the area, and is a high-quality piece. Thanks so much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Could it be sheared beaver? What I have found is that modern faux fur is AMAZING and sometimes I litereally have to do a burn test but back in the day, the vintage day the faux fur really was not that good. This to me looks and sounds like sheared beaver, just so unbelievely soft, you just want to keep feeling it... The collar is perfect to raise up just to feel the fur on your cheek!
    I vote real and I vote sheared beaver...

Michelle

3. MyVintageCocktail

You are so right about wanting to have this fur against your skin. I cannot stop stroking this when I am working with it. However, I thought that otter is softer than beaver? Any way to tell the difference?

It is almost my size--would be if I lost that last 5 pounds--LOL; and I am oh, so tempted to keep it. I'm going to list it high, and if it doesn't sell, I will make it a point to lost that poundage! It is a Large, so it should grab some action.

4. Hattysattic

Hattysattic VFG Secretary

I'm not sure about the otter vs. beaver thing, but I bought a fabulous sheared beaver swingback coat last year and was absolutely CONVINCED it was a luxurious fake fur. I think if you can't see the back it can be a real struggle, as you just don't expect a 'real' fur to be so uniform!

5. Vintagetrend

Vintagetrend Registered Guest

Can you do a burn test??

6. MyVintageCocktail

Well, I have now done both a "pin" test and a burn test on this, and though I'm not an expert on doing burn tests, I would have to say that this fur is real! I'm going to list it today, and have no clue on what to price it at, but as I said, I think I'll go high & if it doesn't sell, will keep it. This is just one of those pieces you cannot sell and feel like you gave it away....