1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eilers Vintage Fur Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Velvetsage, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Velvetsage

Velvetsage Registered Guest

I'm selling a black fur full length coat for a friend, and the Vintage label is put in upside down. It reads "Eilers' Huron S.D." I couldn't find much online about Eilers, except that they have been around awhile. The fur is in perfect condition, and has an elaborate flowered threaded embossed area in the lining. It was purchased for 25 dollars because it was thought to be fake fur by the clerk ! It weighs a great deal. I'm guessing sheared beaver. It's ultra soft, and velvety. I don't wear real fur, and know very little about them. The cuffs are very fancy inside, due to the wind stopper elastic inset. Any information will be appreciated.

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

In the event that you have not heard this...

From a 1942 (somewhat ungrammatical) newspaper article: "UPSIDE DOWN LABELS IN COATS EASIER TO READ-One specialty shop in Kansas City, Mo. sews its own shop labels in coats it sells upside down. The reason for the upside down label is very simple. It can be read much more easily by other women when the coat is thrown back over a chair. Customers puzzled over the label are perfectly satisfied when told why it was placed in that manner."

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a 1956 ad for Eiler's Furs in Huron South Dakota. The ad notes that they were "Master Furriers of South Dakota" and "In Huron For Over 28 Years."

4. Velvetsage

Velvetsage Registered Guest

Thank you so much lkranieri. South Dakota. I stand corrected. And thank you for the information about the label. It makes perfect sense. I love your Avatar image. My favorite era. Edwardian.