1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elsa Originals label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Birdy, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

96ADA683-E40F-4CE8-BE0B-91AF9F76342D.jpeg D0DE643C-BF1C-471F-97B0-C93C3102A89F.jpeg 8993B375-59CC-4A44-9093-E009B7B4956A.jpeg Hello! I have this stand alone hood and cannot find any information on the label, “Elsa Originals”. Is anyone familiar with this label or seen it before?

2. Racked Vintage

Racked Vintage Alumni VFG Past President

It *could* be Elsa Schiaparelli - a custom piece or something - but all of her labels always had her last name only, even her earliest ones from Paris. Some makers had custom labels prior to launching "a line" but I feel like this is likely an independent maker/copycat who is someone different altogether. It does look Deco. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I feel like I have seen this label myself in the past - maybe a dress along the way. :hiya:

Birdy likes this.
  3. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Thank you so much for your reply! I also thought it *could* be Schiaparelli but, like you, figured it most unlikely. But it’s fun to think it *could* be! I’ve never run across just a hood like this before and couldn’t seem to get my google search terms to bring up anything similar. Would you say this might be from the 20s/30s? Thanks again!!

4. Is it a wool material inside? If so, I would say early 1940s. I had turbans with the same interior fabric, for warmth

Racked Vintage and Birdy like this.
  5. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

Yes, it’s wool. Thank you for the reply!

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

It seems Elsa Nikolic was a dress designer and a partner in Elsa Originals...

45293B84-BFF3-4770-8AA1-7D3FCBB25DBF.jpeg

...and a 1948 newspaper article had a photo of Parisian models and the caption said: “Parisian models are shown at the Auteuil steeplechase tracks in Paris by Minneapolis dress designer Elsa Nikolic, now visiting abroad...” By at least 1959 Elsa was in New York.

Racked Vintage and Birdy like this.
  7. Birdy

Birdy Registered Guest

This is very helpful!! Thanks so much!