1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emanuel label query

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kitty, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Kitty

Kitty Registered Guest

I can't figure out how to post a query on a label- if anyone sees this, can you tell me when it is from? The dress looks like it's from several different eras- the 1950s, 1970s( collar), 1980s ( label). It's wool. Any ideas? Is it Elizabeth Emanuel or David Emanuel? Or Emanuel Ungaro? Thanks in advance?

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi @Kitty, welcome to the forums.

I've moved your post here to the questions and answers forum.

We can try and help date your dress but will need photos of the dress itself as well as the label

3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

I think it's Elizabeth & David Emanuel. they're English, I think they designed Lady Di's wedding dress? Definitely not Ungaro.

4. Kitty

Kitty Registered Guest

Thanks! I tend to agree, but want to get some solid evidence. I can find no photos of any label like this one anywhere. I have pretty much exhausted all my resources.Thank you for your response though!

5. Retro Ruth

This is from a scrapbook, at the time of Diana's dress (1981), and the typography and colour scheme is similar to your label. At that point in time Studio Emanuel was both David and Elizabeth. The scrapbook was auctioned here.

[​IMG]

Vintagiality likes this.
  6. Retro Ruth

And in this photo, you can just see at the top, a bit blurred, a label. Not the same as yours, but similar. From the same 1981 scrapbook (Elizabeth Emanuel's scrapbook)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Vintagiality and amandainvermont like this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Reading their wikipedia entries, it seems that they worked together as Emanuel (or Studio Emanuel), from 1977 until their divorce in 1990, doing both couture and RTW at different times. After that the brand was taken over by Elizabeth and named Elizabeth Emanuel.

Katarzyna and Vintagiality like this.