1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embroidered labels

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Moonchild, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

Hi, I'm watching a youtube video to get more information about vintage clothing identification. She mentioned that if a label is embroidered instead of printed on for example polyester, it's most likely old. But HOW old?

When were embroidered labels primarily used? :)

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

The short answer is "it depends", I'm afraid. Embroidered labels are in general older than printed labels, but I don't think there was a specific era in which there was a wholesale change, as with zippers transitioning from metal to nylon between 1950s and 1960s. A company with multiple fashion lines is likely to keep the embroidered label for their high end line longer than their more budget friendly stuff. And lingerie companies might transition at a different time than daywear. Also, the printed labels came into use mostly because they saved money, but any thrifty company would keep using their embroidered labels until they were gone.
    A review of the VFG Label Resource for Vanity Fair shows embroidered labels through the 1950s. The 60s dressing gown and girdle labels are printed, but a mid-60s slip label is still embroidered.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have not seen that video, but that woman's information is very misleading, in my opinion. Embroidered labels go back to the 19th century (1800s). Printed labels are still used. I have printed labels from the early 1900s and even late 1800s. There are much better ways to determine age than if the label is embroidered or not. Who is this woman? She does not sound reliable to me.

Also, her use of the term "old" is way too vague to be useful.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

Thank you all for your very helpful replies! :)

6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member