1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Embroidered straw sunhat help please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, May 22, 2019.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

This hat *looks* (color, fading, materials, wear) like an oldie to me, but I know looks can be very deceiving. The embroidery is natural raffia. There is a rayon cord running around the base of the crown, I believe to adjust the fit, or maybe stabilize it? The grosgrain ribbon (which is tacked on) is also rayon. The embroidery along the edge reminds me of that seen on Mexican tourist jackets. I'm supposing it's Mexican made and might be as old as 1940s.

I would love to be set straight about when it might date from, and from where it might have come. TIA!
    3.jpg
    P1019623.JPG
    P1019626.JPG
    P1019627.JPG
    P1019628.JPG
    P1019630.JPG P1019631.JPG

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i'm no help, Maggie, but i have to say, this is ADORABLE!!

3. denisebrain

Thanks Mary! I sorta love it myself!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yeah, they are hard to date as you say. I do think you are close with the 40s dating, just something about the way the ribbon is placed over the crown is a very 40s touch. The straw appears to be hand sewn or roughly sewn which gives it great charm. The string around the crown is odd. If the hat is sewn in two pieces (crown and brim separate pieces) then the string serves no real purpose other than decoration. If the hat is sewn in all one continuous braiding, then the string might be able to vary the fit slightly when pulled in back.

No real idea of its origin.

Is is adorable and nice find as not many of these seem to have survived in good shape.

denisebrain likes this.
  5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Glad to hear others have problems with dating these kinds of things...

denisebrain likes this.
  6. denisebrain

That is a great help Barbara, and a bit of a relief, as Jonathan says, to not be the only one not sure!

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  7. Looks 1940s to me, Maggie! And, it's such a nice sunhat. I love the embroidery!