1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emily Wetherby label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Is anyone familiar with this label? I think this coat is late 60s or early 70s but would like to know more about the designer.

IMG_1706.JPG IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1693.JPG IMG_1694.JPG IMG_1695.JPG IMG_1696.JPG IMG_1697.JPG IMG_1701.JPG IMG_1703.JPG IMG_1704.JPG

Thanks
    Victoria

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Hi Victoria - I am resurrecting this question as a dress and wrap from the mid-late 60s was just donated to the museum with this label, and I don't know anything about it either...

GemGem likes this.
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is one helpful reference I found...
    EmilyWetherbyPic&Story1962.jpg

4. IsaVintage

IsaVintage Registered Guest

I have access to the complete Vogue US archives, and Emily Wetherby was often featured in their fashion editorials from the mid 60s to early 70s. There is even a photo shoot with Jean Shrimpton wearing one of her coat. Jonathan, is you want i could check to see if your pieces are documented.

GemGem, Distantdetails and MagsRags like this.
  5. Vintagiality

I did see a number of ads in Vogue too when I researched it back then but never found any good info on the designer. Thanks Lynne for uncovering something about her. When is the article from?
    She was mainly doing shawls, stoles, capes etc in the early years and seems to have expanded later (as far as I can tell some time in the late 60s)

GemGem likes this.
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Sorry I forgot to include the date, which was 1962. I found a little bit more about her, but I am not home and whenever they let me out of the hospital ER (just to see if I have a detached—or partially detached—retina), I will send you the other items I found thus far. Everything I found underscores what you are saying about the earlier years of her career.

GemGem and Vintagiality like this.
  7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

First, a 1968 article about trouble with the FTC...
    EmilyWetherbyFlammableMaterial1968.jpg

Second, her 1983 honorary degree from her alma mater...
    EmilyWetherbyHonoraryDoctorOfArts1983.jpg

Third, her 1991 Find-a-Grave notice...
    EmilyWetherbyFindAGrave1991.jpg

8. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and this 1949 reference to Wetherby's "new group of blouses and skirts"
    EmilyWetherbyBlouses1949.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  9. Vintagiality