1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empress of Persia Cashmere Coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nancy Renee, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Nancy Renee

Nancy Renee Registered Guest

I bought this black cashmere coat at a thrift store and would like to learn what year it’s from and it’s approximate value for resale. I can’t find any info on google. The tag says “Empress of Persia” and “Yellin and Sons” the only other tag says Union Made and AFL-CIO. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. We do not give valuations here.

The ILGWU label was in use from 1955 to 1963. I look forward to what others say about narrowing down the date. Certainly is stylish and looks soft and warm.

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Love those BIG buttons. The garment label looks 50s to me. Let's see what others have to say. Very nice thrift store find!

4. Nancy Renee

Thanks for the replies. I found the union label on this site! I would like to know more about the coat though. The cashmere is extremely soft and drapey. There are two linings, a typical satin fabric and inbetween there is a woven fabric, I guess to provide a little extra warmth and structure.
    It also has drop shoulders and 7/8th sleeves.
    ?

5. Looks like the fabric was made by Empress of Persia for J Yellin & Sons. The fabric in between is the interlining and is found in many warmer coats. If the interlining is slightly stiff then I suspect it would be used for structure and/or structure and added warmth. I also think the satin lining is most likely a quality rayon, possibly silk (poly was not in wide use at that time) - if you are able to snip a few threads of the satin you may do a burn test to find out what it is. Copy of how to do a burn test may be found in our Fabric Resource.

GemGem likes this.
  6. Nancy Renee

Thank you for the info, I will try the burn test.

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  7. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

From newspaper archives most ads for this coat were between 57 and 59. Lining is crepe back Milium which is a rayon and metal fabric for insulation. Coat sold for around $80 back then.

GemGem and themerchantsofvintage like this.
  8. Nancy Renee

thanks Mary! that's great info. where did you find newspaper archives?

9. MaryLC

MaryLC Registered Guest

Newspapers.com :)