1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evelyn Varon Hat and Scarf?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by foofoogal, May 31, 2012.

1. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

This hat has a matching scarf. It is polyester so assuming it is 1960s. Was this a take on I Dream of Jeannie or something. I thought it was much earlier when I bought it but the poly.
    Thanks. Any help appreciated.
    Evelyn Varon exclusive on the label.

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

The style is hard to see clearly on the head, can you show it without the wig? I would also like to see the inside foundation, and the label. The colors look mid to late 1960s. Is the material marked polyester or could it be another synthetic? The style could be late 1950's to late 1960's, but of course it is hard to be sure with hats many times.

Evelyn Varon labels came in a lot of varieties. She was a popular milliner for decades before this hat was made, and I don't know if or when she licensed her name, or when the label stopped, but I think it was around 1970. There are too many milliners to research, not enough time! Some labels have her first and last name as all one word, i.e. EvelynVaron Model, some are white with red letters and "Evelyn Varon" Original with a small hatbox design (that label came in use in the very early 1950's I am pretty sure), some have just her name in script on beige with brown, or black with white script...changing from decade to decade and often mid decade..... and a few others. I have seen about 8 or more varieties of her name on labels, going way way back.

3. Barbara, I saw a hat with her name on it at a yard sale today and did not pick it up because I know nothing about hats. It was a sheer, gathered design meant for weddings or formal occasions I guess. Is this a good label? Do they sell well?

4. foofoogal

Thank you Barbara. I was hoping you would reply.
    Did not realize it has a Union label but I cannot read it.

Attached Files:

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Amber,

Well, I am an older, more seasoned collector, so now-a-days I only pick up hats by Varon if they are her earlier work, from before 1950. Those are harder to come by and worth more. I will sometimes buy a hat with the Varon label that is 1950s or newer, but only if they are a particular special style or have great trims, flowers, etc. Even then I don't pay a lot for those. I wouldn't buy a post-1950 made Varon just because of the label unless it was way cheap, like $5.00. I might buy one just for the style, and yes, her name adds a bit of something for some collectors. If it was just a mediocre hat, you didn't miss out by not buying it.

Of course, if you find a 1920's Varon, now we are talking!

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hi,

Thanks for showing the label. It is a later variation on her 1950's "pink hatbox" label, your label is a bit plainer in design but very similar. Is the pink woven (embroidered) or printed on? Just curious.

I am looking at the construction of the foundation and the fabric, and the label, and I come up with mid to late 1960's on this one.

7. foofoogal

Thank you. It is embroidered. Do you think it has an inkling of I Dream of Jeannie in the design. Didn't Jeannie wear a hat similar to this? Hers was a bit different with a scarf under the chin but it is what I think when I see this. I remember they had harem pajamas at the time as I had a fab set. Thought I was very cool.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Sure, I see Barbara Eden wearing that!

9. foofoogal

Thank you. I doubt I will be attempting to sell this set for $5.00.

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Hello,

Oh, no, your hat is worth more than that. I think you misunderstood my comment about the $5 hat.

I was not referring to the value of your lovely hat. I was answering a question put forth by Vintage Vortex (above), asking me if she made a mistake when she passed on purchasing a rather ho-hum hat with a Varon label at a garage sale. She asked if those sell hats well, and if it is a 'good' label, and I just gave her my personal opinion on that. What I said was I would not buy a hat JUST because it had that particular label, and that the hat would have to have a lot more going for it than just having that label. If it was a boring Varon, I might consider paying $5 for it but no more. I also added the qualifier that my opinion is that of a seasoned collector, it was not a comment on what a hat might be priced at on the vintage market today.

A hat can have no label at all and have great value to collectors, or a hat can bear a well known label and be of little value other than that of a decorative article of clothing.

Your hat is very colorful and cool and a wonderful style, and I love it,

11. foofoogal

Thank you Barbara for that clarification. I think this was a cute set and why I picked it up.
    I highly respect your expertise on hats and misunderstood you. I appreciate you letting me know I misunderstood.