1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Evening dress with 2 labels Pierre Balmain and G.Valens

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by clairefrilly, Jul 17, 2011.

1. clairefrilly

clairefrilly Registered Guest

Hi there
    I've just bout an evening gown (60s I think) It has two labels on it. One is Pierre Balmain it's parallel to the zip and the other is on a side seam it's G.Vakebs, Bruxelles.

Can anyone tell me why there would be 2 labels on a garment.

Also it's a gorgeous dress and it costs £16 : )

It's also in need of a clean as the silk chiffon layer is dirty at the hem.
    Any info would be great. Thank you

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

If you could post the photos of the label, that would be best.

It most likely was the store from where the Balmain was
    purchased.

If you have a photo host, you can use the 4th icon above the one with the yellow square and add in the URL address of the photo. You can post the first one, press enter to leave a space and then start again and post the 2nd one underneath.

Please note that photos should be under 500 pixels in width.

if not you can use the attachment box at the bottom of the post browse your computer and select the photo (this method only allows one photo per post)

3. clairefrilly

Hi
    Thanks for the reply
    I'll try to load up some photos ........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Mary Jane is correct. Pierre Balmain would be the designer and G. Valens is the store where the dress was purchased. However, the Balmain label doesn't look right to me. The dress looks early - 60s (aurora borealis crystal beads, all white, chiffon overskirt, cut of bodice with bow in waist seam...these are all typical of early 60s evening clothes) and that label isn't right for that period - it looks like the sort of label you find in 1970s and 1980s Balmain garments. Also, the way it is sewn in is sloppy for Balmain, and if it was sold in Belgium the Balmain label shouldn't say 'made in france' which would be the label for exports to England, Canada, U.S., Australia... It was a good dress, and it is entirely possible it was a Balmain and the woman cut the label out and sewed it in years later, confusing two Balmain labels (I know this happened).

5. clairefrilly

Thanks Jonathan

The dress itself is very well made, the cut especially at the waist is amazing. I'd really love to know if it is a genuine Balmain , just so I could say I have one :wub:

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I only want to add that I agree with Jonathan....I thought the label looked very much 1970s, and then saw the dress which looks 1960's.

The crystals are stunning, I have not seen those elongated chandelier shapes on gowns before. Beautiful gown by the way.

B

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is lovely, but I do agree with Jonathan that label does not look quite right for the style of dress.

Also, wherever you purchased it from, it's a pity they drove the plastic for the price tag right through the label. They should always try to find a more discreet spot like on the selvedge of the fabric.

8. I agree with the others: also, the label is sewn too closely to the zipper to be original - and I wish that bullet hadn't been put through it! The label has a hole in it now.

A beautiful gown, regardless of the label. I sometimes take the hem up a little when it's dirty or damaged - with a full length gown like this, you can often lose a half an inch of the hem and it freshens it up, makes it look like new again. It's very common for long dresses to have damaged/dirty hems.

Nicole