1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Friday: Melton

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Feb 4, 2022.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

If you have ever felt a vintage wool coat and sighed with bliss, there is a pretty fair chance it was made of melton. This fabric has a surface that has been finished to give it a felt-like, weather-resistant nap, and in the finest wool it makes a velvety soft coat. My mother called this fabric—about which she spoke reverantly—melton cloth.

(Can't remember which is warp and which is weft? In case you're wondering, all the linked words here, and in the VFG Fabric Resource, will take you to definitions in the resource.)

Melton looks much like thick felt with its twill weave or plain weave obscured by fulling and shearing of its nap (although the back of the fabric may show its weave). The dense, thick construction makes it wind and rain resistant and extremely warm. It is almost always dyed a solid color.

The best melton is all wool and almost velvety. Less costly variations can have a cotton warp and woolen weft, and sometimes manufactured fibers are also used. Melton takes its name from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, UK, where it was first woven and used to make jackets for fox hunting.

Uses: Winter coats, uniforms, riding habits

This is a close up of an Edwardian walking suit made of wool melton. See the twill line?
    _big_vintagefashion-new_51355.jpg

Here's a late 40s wool melton coat
    black40scoat3a.png

A close up. You can just barely make out the twill weave:
    black40scoat7.png

Here is detail from a 1960s US Army uniform winter overcoat being sold on eBay by kingofvintage1. Again, just that hint of the twill weave is visible.
    Screen-Shot-2022-02-04-at-3.03.46-PM.jpg

Please ask, tell, show, etc. :)

2. Lady Scarletts

Lady Scarletts VFG Member

Denise, you are a wealth of info.! Thank you!

denisebrain likes this.
  3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I found out about melton on this forum, but I didn't know it was named after Melton Mowbray!

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

It seems Melton Mowbray is now better know for its pork pies and Stilton cheese!

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Exactly! And both are excellent if you like that kind of thing... I love stilton, not so keen on pork pies. Melton Mowbray is very near where I grew up.

It's also the vicinity of the famous Quorn hunt, which has been going since the 17th Century. Not so keen on that either, but it explains the cloth being first used for hunting jackets.

I had a beautiful mustard coloured Melton waistcoat, but I don't seem to have kept any pictures.

denisebrain likes this.