1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Friday: Wool flannel

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Jan 21, 2022.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I can sympathize with people who say they can’t wear wool. I feel I am sensitive to it, but realized early on that there is a wide range of wool grades and fabric constructions, to which my skin has a wide range of reactions. Worsted flannel is a wool that I feel immune to, soft and smooth as it is. It is a sheep in sheep’s clothing!

Flannel, wool
    A warm fabric with a soft, close nap, flannel may be in a plain or twill weave. It is brushed to create the nap, and this may be on one or both sides. If woolen, it can be in a plain or twill weave, while worsted flannels are right-hand twills, finer and appreciably more substantial.

Flannel was originally always wool (the name is derived from the Welsh word for flannel, gwlânen, which is derived from gwlân, “wool”). It is now found in wool blends, often with cotton.

Uses: Jackets, suits (men’s particularly of worsted flannel), dresses, shirts, skirts

See also:
    Flannel, cotton

_big_vintagefashion-new_129775.jpg
    Wool flannel

_big_vintagefashion-new_82239.jpg
    Worsted flannel

This New Look wool flannel jacket was made by—who else?—Christian Dior. Courtesy of the V&A. You can zoom in on the photos here: https://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O138234/new-look-jacket-dior-christian/

Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 12.56.28 PM.png

Thoughts and questions welcome!

2. vintagedevotion

vintagedevotion VFG Board Member

Wonderful info! Thanks!

denisebrain likes this.