1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric Fridays: Butcher linen and butcher cloth

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Workshops - specialty vintage topics' started by denisebrain, Mar 4, 2022.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I might get into hot water with this topic—and we all know how things can shrink in hot water—but here goes. The reason for controversy is that for years (and to this day for some sources) butcher cloth was synonymous with butcher linen with butcher rayon, and all kinds of variations on these terms were used with various fibers and fabrics. I used the most recent definitions in the most authoritative sources to describe these fabrics, so I think I have it right.

First Butcher linen:

Sturdy, heavy, bleached linen, with linen’s balanced plain weave and slubs. Butcher linen can now also be made of cotton.

The name butcher linen used to be used (misleadingly) for a linen-like rayon or rayon/cotton blend fabric—but the current name for this type of fabric is butcher cloth.

Uses: Aprons, tablecloths

_big_vintagefashion-new_117712.jpg

then Butcher cloth:

Butcher cloth is rayon or rayon/cotton, spun and woven to resemble linen with linen-like slubs. Butcher cloth used to be called butcher linen, but that is no longer correct according to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.

Uses: Dresses, suits, skirts

Rayon butcher cloth with machine embroidery
    _big_vintagefashion-new_126908.jpg

Unlike the first fabric, his second fabric is often seen made into our vintage finds from the 1950s, looking very much like linen but—how to describe it?—less crisp, more soft and drape-able, more evenly slubbed, and usually a less expensively made item than one made from linen. Since it is rayon or rayon/cotton it is much more dyeable and may be brightly colored.

This is detail from a dress I sold.
    Screen-Shot-2022-03-04-at-11.48.29-AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.48.05 AM.png

Notice that butchers have something to do with butcher linen, which makes a great apron, but nothing to do with butcher cloth.

Retro Ruth and Vintagiality like this.