1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric identification

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Jul 17, 2019.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I realize it’s probably not possible to be 100% accurate with this. I’m still hoping for an idea on what this fabric might be. I think it’s a type of chiffon, maybe, just what type? I’ve tried getting closeups of the weave and fraying. It feels very very similar to one of those old sheer head scarves my mother would wear over her hair back in the day. Not exactly silky, more of a slightly rough texture, but very thin. The thinness may be due to age. These fabric photos are from a heavily beaded flapper dress. Thanks for any assistance!

E37FDEE8-78C2-4F13-B38F-C2B366C093A5.jpeg 7355DC75-D417-44F3-9ADD-434B6EA193A2.jpeg 5B9DBCC0-7AA8-44DF-9DAE-A56DA9D614BE.jpeg

2. Vivala

Vivala Registered Guest

Can you snip off just a few stray threads for a fiber burn test (use a lighter, not a match)? This chart is really helpful!

Attached Files:

3. Vivala

Vivala Registered Guest

Sorry - I don't know why that image is so blurry - it's sharp on my computer! You can google fiber burn chart and find quite a few of them, though!

4. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you. I will see what I can find! I’m interested in trying my hand at making a somewhat similar dress. I don’t suppose it has to be the exact same fabric but I like the way this stuff hangs. Anyway thank you for the suggestion!

5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I believe it would be silk chiffon. If you do the thread-burn test it will definitely tell you.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Maggie, it looks like silk chiffon to me as well.

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you for the help! I ended up going with silk chiffon. I’m still waiting on it to be delivered since I couldn’t find any in our local fabric stores.