1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric pattern/type question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

What is this type of fabric treatment/ technique/ pattern called?

CE13EBD8-3909-4447-919C-2B5A4ECE251A.jpeg

And also these two:
    8F858501-F3D2-435B-84B5-0C6E8A5E491A.jpeg

8AEAB66F-B6AC-4A54-BD74-5964CEE3ECC4.jpeg
    Thanks
    Victoria

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  2. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Victoria,
    Your detail photos are very good.
    How are the fabrics used?
    The first fabric looks like it might be a chenille. It could be a dress or suit fabric or a bathrobe.
    The second fabric looks like a dotted swiss with a small embroidery. The dots can be embroidered or glued on. What does the fabric back look like?
    the last one could be a plisse' or cloque. Plisse' is pressed in and cloque is woven.
    You can see how more info would be helpful.

3. Vintagiality

Hello Claire,

Thank you so much for the info. I just finished photos for the garments. All three are dresses. The first fabric is on the bodice and bolero of a chiffon overlay dress from the 60s. Is chenille and cut velvet the same? The raised parts are almost like velvet. The other two are a dress & coat set and a cotton maxi dress (very heavily lined). I think it is cloque as you suggest. The dots have a slightly rubbery texture so they are probably not embroidered. The flowers definitely are.

IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3153.JPG IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG IMG_3049.JPG IMG_3047.JPG
    IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3021.JPG IMG_3023.JPG

Victoria

4. Vintagiality

So just trying to confirm.

#1 chenille
    #2 cloque
    #3 dotted swisss

Thank you
    Victoria

5. Vintagiality

One follow up question, is cloque made of cotton? If that’s not always the case, would you say that the white/ yellow dress above is made of cotton?

Thank you
    Victoria

6. I wouldnt call the blue, chenille,per see, but the name alludes me right now. I have seen many formal dresses made of this fabric on the 50s and 60s.

7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

vintagevixen likes this.
  8. vintagevixen

vintagevixen VFG Member

The first fabric (the blue & green leafy motif) looks like a satin brocade, though the brocaded part is more textured than many are. Probably a cotton blend? Just a guess without feeling it. That peacock blue & emerald green combo was very popular in early 60s brocade.

9. Vintagiality

Thank you all. It’s the fabric of the white & yellow Kiki Hart dress set, which I believe is cotton, that a customer is questioning. They think it’s polyester. I am pretty sure that it isn’t but wanted to be sure before I respond.