1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fabric (Tweed?) Identification Help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by SirTarquin, Sep 28, 2018.

1. SirTarquin

SirTarquin Registered Guest

There is a particular fabric I'm looking for that I'm having a lot of trouble finding. I believe it is a type of Tweed, except it doesn't really fit any in the commonly known and accepted categories of Tweed. Instead, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what to call this fabric/tweed or what to search for to I can find this type of fabric/weave specifically? I would appreciate any help anyone could possibly give.

P.S. Admittedly, I am looking for this fabric by the yard as opposed to anything vintage, but I was always directed here first on every search for a fabric identification forum.

2. SirTarquin

I have, but I wasn't able to find anything that looked quite like this.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would agree with a type of boucle, not tweed. Although it does still look more uniform than any boucle wool I've seen before...

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't think the fabric is a bouclé. It's hard to tell without handling it and the weave is probably exaggerated by being enlarged. I think it might
    be a textured chenille.

This first fabric - sorry it's so large but I copied and pasted is a bouclé tweed. Bouclé has a raised or bumpy texture.

[​IMG]

This is an example of a chenille tweed - and I think it's closer but I'm not sure either one is exactly "it."

[​IMG]

This is very enlarged as well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

6. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

_thumb_vintagefashion-new_131047.jpg (from Maggie's link above.) This shows how confusing fabrics can be (at least for me...)

7. SirTarquin

Thank you everyone for all of your help. Unfortunately, looking again at the original piece I'm trying to recreate, that fabric I shared isn't similar at all, so I'm planning on closing this thread and starting another with pictures from the actual garment. Thank you!

8. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I was wondering if it's a micro boucle?

[​IMG]