1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falcon Trilby Hat "The Big Shot"-Please help!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Cathbrooks, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Cathbrooks

Cathbrooks Registered Guest

Hi all-
    I have been given a Falcon Trilby Hat by my Aunty and am appealing to anyone on this form who knows anything about it. I have trawled the Internet but can't find anything similar. What is intriguing is that inside the rim is "The Big Shot" imprinted in the leather trim and I am wondering if this has any link to Humphrey Bogart's film, 1942-might he have worn it? Perhaps they made some around the time to release with the film? Any information would be truly appreciated.
    Photos below..
    Many thanks-Cath
    IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3020.jpg IMG_3019.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Great hat! I'm unfamiliar with this maker. Hopefully, another one of our members will be along to help out.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I cannot be 100% sure from the photos, but the hat looks to be newer rather than older. By "newer" I mean it is post 1970, may be even 1990s era, and looks to be made of a wool felt. It may be one of those types of hats that are sold in chain store hat shops located at tourist-y spots, etc., or a costume shop. They often give their hats names like yours has, associated with a movie or person like Indiana Jones, Bogart, Cagney, etc. I can pretty much say for sure it is not from the 1940s.

I myself would not call this a Trilby, it is more of a classic Fedora. Looks like it has a tear drop crown, so if you play with the crown a little, it should take that wonderful shape.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. Cathbrooks

Cathbrooks Registered Guest

Many thanks for the info-much appreciated!

5. Hi Cath.
    I know this is a very late response but wondered if you'd found any more info on your "Big Shot" Falcon hat. I have one which I've been researching and I can assure you that 'Falcon' is a vintage brand. I believe they are a British company although I can't confirm that, I have found some advertisments in a British/Malaysian newspaper from 1938. The Falcon "Setstyle" was sold in Whiteaways Dept store in Singapore who brought in products for the Europeans and wealthy locals. I have also found an advert in the Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette (1937) for the Falcon "Big Shot" hat and other papers advertising The Falcon "Setstyle".

Mine is circa 1930's/40's. It has a patent no. 13829/36 which I will continue to research, has a grease-proof head tip, which has "The Big Shot" and 'A Falcon "Setstyle" Hat printed under the coating, and an embossed Falcon Trade Mark stamp in the leather band which is the same as the sticker in yours. Unfortunately I can't seem to upload my photos as they're too big. Yours does look a little later then mine but I can't find anymore information as to when they stopped making hats, I can only find adverts form the 30's!

So there you have it, we have proof that "The Big Shot" Falcon hat dates at least from 1937.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018