1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello,

Searching through my collection yesterday and was happy to find a vintage Bennetts, Collapsible Opera Hat, some restoration required.

I also found a Farwa, those not familiar, it is a traditional Islamic Nomadic/Bedouin, wrap around winter coat.

They are still made to very traditional designs, I purchased it from a gentleman some 25 years ago who said it had been in their family for a while, it was in a bit of a state and had suffered some moth damage, thankfully not to the lining and the first thing done to it was a thorough dry clean and then packed away.

It is lined fully in black lambs/sheep wool skin. I think about 30 to 50 years old only.

I wore it yesterday, goodness is it heavy and gosh it is warm to wear.

My children are urging me to downsize my collection, I'm resisting to a degree.

I have now threatened to wear it if snow and cold this winter, around town, much to their alarm.

But I think it beats wearing a puffer or winter jacket and much more stylish.

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Fantastic! I've never heard of these, thanks very much for showing us.

4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm getting a Gustav Klimt vibe—he was often photographed wearing a sort of robe, and I think he would appreciate that back detail.

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi Maggie

A painters smock.

denisebrain likes this.