1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite research sources?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by thedecorouscat, Feb 25, 2021.

1. thedecorouscat

thedecorouscat Registered Guest

Hello everyone. I’m wondering what everyone’s favorite sites or sources are for doing research on vintage or finding old advertising? Where do you guys go when you come across a new designer to learn more about them?

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The first place I would check is the VFG Label Resource to see if we have an entry on that designer. You can access it from our homepage.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource

If I don't find something there, I will do a Google Search. Some of our members have subscriptions to newspaper archives and those often produce great results. I subscribe to the NYTImes - so sometimes I might look there for information.

cmpollack likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Newspapers.com has a gazillion of old newspapers, so a great source for ads etc. - but you have to pay for a subscription, it's only free for a few days. I signed up for the free one just to look at some specific ads and then cancelled it again.

For some specific research here in Switzerland where I live, I have recently discovered the digital library of one of our universities - ETH E-Periodica https://www.e-periodica.ch/. It has all the Swiss trade register publications and a lot of other publications from trade associations - also everything that Swiss Textiles published to further export, which is a fantastic resource for ads and company information for anything regarding fashion.

A lot of museums today also have digital collections which may provide information, images of garments or photos. The Met is probably well-known for that, but I've found several museums here in my area who do the same - it pays to have a look and see if they have a link somewhere to an online collection.

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

The OCR function is available for free and while it doesn’t help with images, it does allow you to read all the text.

I personally use a number of university databases, as well as the Vogue archive and New York Times timemachine but those also require a subscription to the current publication. Google Books as opposed to a regular Google search also produces good results for research

Racked Vintage, cmpollack and GemGem like this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Different resources depending on the period.

For more recent vintage late 80s-90s I will often use you tube to watch catwalk videos from those periods, or vogues archive of catwalks. I also do the general trawling if I have something specific. I also sometimes look through my stash of glossy mags from the 80s and 90s and a few fashion books I have accumulated along the way.

For items older but post 30s/40s I will often search editorials, potentially newspaper archives too but rarely since I tried a free uk news archive site and cancelled once finished. I also love checking things like the V&A archive. For more general help I will use search terms for items I have no idea about to try to date something.

.....Although the VFG probably has the most expertise (FAB) members, the fantastic label and fabric resources and I would say I use it most often of all, I learn so much here.

6. victoryvtg

victoryvtg Registered Guest

how do you use university databases? I have come across the FIT one, finally, but it requires staff or faculty or student. none of which I am

7. As well as the good advice above, I research mostly Australian labels, so love Trove, which offers free access to newspapers, magazines, all kinds of good things. So anyone looking up Australian companies should check it out.

Racked Vintage and Vintagiality like this.
  8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. thedecorouscat

I miss my university login credentials. I have found that if you search for things through your local library (sign up for a library account) you can access some items which would otherwise be off limits to the general public.

victoryvtg likes this.
  11. thedecorouscat

The Vintage Merchant likes this.