1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Floral corduroy fabric dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plousia, Jun 1, 2023.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

I am thinking maybe 60s? It is 45" wide. The corduroy feels very soft, almost velvety. Am guessing maybe cotton.

I suppose it could be modern but it has a vintage look to me.

Attached Files:

2. Hi Plousia, 45" (115cm) is quite wide for 1960, any chance it's an upholstery fabric which tends to be wider? If it's a dress fabric then it's more likely to be '70s I think, which is the great age for printed corduroy.

Corduroy is invariably pure cotton I find, unless it's a stretch or other texture like a velour or faux fur.

denisebrain likes this.
  3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Hmm yes 70s seems quite likely. I'm not sure how to tell the difference between upholstery and dress fabric, but it doesn't really seem sturdy enough to be upholstery. It's a relatively thick corduroy but in the realm of what I could envision being made into a blouse or skirt.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  4. Anything that can be made into a blouse is unlikely to be an upholstery fabric.

plousia likes this.
  5. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Yes, possible. The colours and design "read" as vintage to me and it just looks old, like it's been in storage a while. This particular thrift shop gets a lot of vintage fabric and sewing bits and bobs (what's the right term?) which I often have to stop myself buying. Recently there was some blue and green floral ribbon/hem tape? (Not sure what exactly it was or the right term) which looked like it was from the 50s.

The modern floral corduroy fabrics on Etsy seem to come in wider widths e.g. 57" seems common. No idea if that's a standard.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.