1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flower ID & Dating Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ClubVintage, May 19, 2004.

1. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Good evening everyone!<p>I need some help with identifying the flowers on this great dress by Blue Ribbon Fashions.<br>The dress has crystal pleating to half way down the full skirt. It is made of a lightweight textured fabric..whipped cream is what I believe it's called. <br>The print has roses, mums and I'm not sure what the other flowers are. I'm dating it to the 50's, does this seem right? Any ideas on the flowers?<p>Thanks in advance,<p>Cat<p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Not sure what those flowers are -- they are sort poppy-like but there are too many stamens. Maybe its just a fantasy interpretation of a flower?
    I think the dress is pretty close to 1960 due to the self material piping belt - those are pretty typical in the very early 1960s, and the round neckline, sleeveless style of bodice is also typical of that period, but the hemline seems quite long, so I would guess 1960ish. Good thing though that eBay has changed the category to include the early 60s in with the 50s -- for dresses just like this - a cusper!

I don't know what crystal pleating is however, or the name you gave for the fabric -- whipped cream? However, maybe someone else will come along who might know.

3. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Hi Chris -

I know what you mean by 'crystal pleats' :) (Jontathan: sharp closely-spaced knife pleats. I think!)

Do you think the fabric might be a georgette? Here's one definition for it, from the fabriclinks.com website -

<i>Georgette
    A sheer lightweight fabric, often made of silk or from such manufactured fibers as polyester, with a crepe surface. End-uses include dresses and blouses.</i>

Carolyn

4. bigchief

bigchief Alumni VFG Past President

Oh, and lovely dress, by the way! You should do well with it.

:)

Carolyn

5. ClubVintage

ClubVintage VFG Member

Thanks for the input Johnathan & Carolyn!<p>The definition for georgette sounds very close except the sheer part, the fabric is not sheer. I get the name whipped cream from my mom, she was an excellent seamstress & she loved this type of fabric. She & I had many full, lightweight dresses from this fabric. <p>Thanks again,<br>Cat

6. theopshoproc

theopshoproc VFG Member

Ooo that is so pretty! I'm definitely no botanist so no help on the flower id, sorry. But I did want to say it was a lovely dress. Jonathan's spot on with the date but it will appeal to most people who desire 50's looks since the sihouette is more indicitive of that decade to fashion-minded folks!

Beautiful!

7. Cat, I know what whipped cream fabric is. I love the feel of it. Had a hat not long ago made of it. Tried to do a search on it but never found anything. Nice dress. Good luck.