1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Folex is my new fave secret weapon

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by debutanteclothing, Jul 11, 2011.

1. debutanteclothing

debutanteclothing VFG Board Member

I, some would say foolishly, purchased a hand embroidered 1920s cotton day dress or tunic. It had pit and unidentified stains all over. Don't ask me why I bought it. I just wanted to rescue it. I remembered someone on the board discussing Folex. I had already tried pretreating and washing with Eucalan with no luck. So I went for the Folex.

OMG! The pit stains are practically gone. And these suckers were dark! I did not take before pics so I don't know if after pics will do any good, but I wanted to share the success I had with Folex and the fabric still looks intact. :party:

2. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That's great, Sandra--it's so satisfying to be able to rescue something that looks beyond hope... The dress was calling to you for a reason!

Guess I'm going to have to get me some Folex...

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thanks for letting us know, Sandra. I have been noticing the discussions here about this product.

I am definitely going to try and get some tomorrow.

It does not seem easy to purchase online yet in Canada but it should be available at our Canadian Tire Stores.

4. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

I missed the discussion on Folex. Where or on what website can one purchase this product??? Sounds very interesting......

Gail

5. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

It looks like you can get it on Amazon (don't forget to go there via the VFG boards).

6. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

It's carpet cleaner. Check your local drugstore or hardware store in the home cleaning section. I've used it with amazing success on wool and cotton. Spray it on, wipe off. Best to gently rinse with water afterward as it leaves an invisible soapy residue which can pick up stains later.

7. gaildavid

gaildavid VFG Member

Wow, that sounds like a great investment! Thanks....

Gail

8. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Got mine at home depot for 6 buck.

9. debutanteclothing

Yup, got mine as Home Depot also.

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

There's a new "no rinse" version - I'm working on a '40's dress with yellow stains. What my sister and I call "closet schmutz." (Very commone in Hawaii.) I used to get it at carpet stores but I got this at the local hardware store. I will have to try in on a dress with pit stains.

11. debutanteclothing

My bottle says you do not have to rinse and I am not feeling the soapy residue Eileen was referring to, so I think I got the good stuff. I'm going to give it another go and then wash again with Eucalan just to be sure. Wish me luck!

12. blacksheep

blacksheep Registered Guest

I found mine at a supermarket in the household cleaners aisle, next to metal polish, marble cleaner, etc.

13. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I can't get Folex in the UK. I actually wrote to Folex and asked them! They said it's not sold over here. Anyone know a UK equivalent?

14. bycin

bycin Guest

I would LOVE to get this!!

15. blacksheep

The bottle I bought is fairly large and more than I could ever use up. If anyone's interested, I could send some in a smaller spray bottle. Or if there's enough interest to send a couple bottles at a time, that might be a better deal when you factor in shipping cost.

16. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Hi blacksheep, I'd be interested, depending on costs. Can you email me on ruthjanehelen at gmail com

Thanks!
    Ruth

17. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I'd chip in for some sent to the UK. Maybe we can get some more people interested.

18. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

You guys might find the customs struggle to send quite a headache. Liquids, especially any type of cleaner/chemical, can be a PITA. Maybe they will leave you alone if it is really small quantities?? Good luck!!

19. blacksheep

Good point msgrossmyer. I did check US Postal restrictions for shipments to the UK, and didn't see any prohibitions specifically against non-hazardous liquids.

The bottle doesn't mention ingredients, but states it's non-toxic, non-flammable, free of VOCs/CFC/petroleum, and no unpleasant chemicals. I'll see what else I can find out.

I'm not sure I can post prices here, but you can IM me for more info or leave your email in this thread.

20. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I have purchased a bottle of a special cleanser for vintage doll clothes and one a cleanser for vintage vinyl dolls online not too long ago - that company ships their products to Europe from the US, no problem. They're non-toxic, non-flammable, and I had no trouble, and neither seemed they to have - so if Folex is also non-harmful, it shouldn't be a problem to ship it from the US.

Just one thought about filling some of this product into a smaller bottle - if customs open the package, they won't know what's in it - I don't know how they would react to that then. If it's in an original bottle, they know what's inside...

Karin