1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fontana Dress confused on dates

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintage_Visage, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Long time no see yall!

I am very confused on this dress. My gut says late 60s. But I am not familiar with how fashion forward or behind Fontana is. This is not couture for sure? but very fashion forward imho. I was going to throw this in a resell/repair lot as a bonus but I am rethinking this now lol. opinions would it do decent sold on its own. no issues and is a rough silk.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Hi Jennifer -

It's been a really long time - good to see you. Your images are not showing.

3. Hi Linn!!! Yes TOO long I fixed it now they are so large sorry not used to navigating this beautiful new pretty sight!!

I've had 2 more kids since being on last! 4 now, but things are slowing down, wrapping up college and getting health under control so I emerge from the darkness lol!

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Wow...you have been a busy woman, Jennifer. Nice to see you here again.

That is a lovely dress. I see more of an early 70s look, let's see what others here have to say.

5. Thanks Mary Jane:)

I kept going back and forth. I know its designed more 70s, but the belt and the collar had me thinking late 60s. Also I know the colors are bold but still seemed right at that cusper time. lol. I really like to be as close as possible instead of throwing up a generic 60s/70s dress lol.

Any opinions on whether or not this would sell OK on its own as an individual piece? Like worth my time listing it... my time is very very limited and I would hate to spend hours in photos, editing, measurements just to walk away with like 30 bucks lol.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would say worth listing as the Fontana label should make it a lot more desirable. The Fontana sisters were famous for their designing.

Audrey Hepburn had her wedding gown and trousseau made back in the 1950s, that wedding did not take place however, and the gown was given to a young employee.

here is a great blog about them

Code:
    http://irenebrination.typepad.com/irenebrination_notes_on_a/2015/06/obituary-micol-fontana-1913-2015.html

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017