1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found these wonderful vintage shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by onceoza, Jun 30, 2012.

1. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I got some great clothing and hats too! Great estate sale! Anyway....these are in a shoe box that was made by Hoague-Sprague. Price tag on box indicates they were purchased at Famous Barr for the whopping price of $4.49. VanityBoot4.jpg VanityBoot3.jpg VanityBoot5.jpg There is no brand name inside the shoe. Only a label that says "Vanity Boot Shop", 805 Locust St., St. Louis. I'm only guessing, but I'm saying late 40's or early 50's? Is that about right? I'd appreciate some descriptive words too. Thanks!

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

I love those, they look to be very well made. Jonathan will know better than I, but they have a 1930's look to me.

3. I agree with Barbara - I see '30s too, in the toe shape and heel, although the thin bows suggest a more modern time (early '50s?). I look forward to Jonathan's input if he's available.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

I'm feeling a bit earlier here too, and looking forward to Jonathan's take.

I was going to suggest that the box is not the one that the shoes came in originally.

5. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Oh duh! :duh2: You're right. Why would the shoes be in a Famous Barr box when they have a label that says Vanity Boot Shop! Sometimes I wonder about myself.

6. joules

joules VFG Member

I switch my shoes around too. That will probably cause confusion for someone down the line someday! :)

I miss Famous...

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Definitely 1930s, somewhere between 1932 and 1938

8. Hurrah! Thank you, Jonathan.

9. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Thanks, Jonathan!

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

great shoes! congrats on a fab find!

they're very narrow, aren't they? so gorgeous!!

11. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

I can't determine what size they are. All I can find is a handwritten 37-0 and then underneath is a 50787.

12. joules

joules VFG Member

If you'll give us the measurements, we can approximate the size range/width.
    My grandmother had these very shoes in her closet, I'd swear to it. :)

13. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Okay, the inside measurement is 9 1/2 inches. 2 5/8 inches across the widest part. The box that I thought was the right box, but turned out to be the wrong box :wacko:says 6.5

14. Tabbyannabel

Tabbyannabel Registered Guest

That sounds like american size 7 to 7.5, but very narrow!! British size 4.5 to 5.

Also, it could be that the shoes were a 6.5, I have found that vintage shoes sizes run much smaller than modern sizes. Best to go by measurements!

15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I have a similar shaped and height pair of shoes with those measurements and they are marked a US 5 B/AA which is a UK 3.5 Your shoes appear to have been well worn in so will probably fit wider than the physical measurement of the insole width, as this doesn't allow for 'give' in the uppers over time. Could you add a picture of the inside numbers? I can usually identify the size from it's placement but not always.

Tabby they would be that size if the shoe's insole were flat, however with high heels the measurement will be longer than usual for the size.

Most discrepencies in vintage shoe sizing here in the UK come from the fact that many British shoemakers used US sizing from manufacture to retail and it is often wrongly assumed to be the UK size today. The standard coversion around the 40's/50's was US sizes were +1.5 on UK sizes.

16. onceoza

onceoza Registered Guest

Here's a pic of the numbers. They look tiny to me, but then when you wear size 10's, it's to be expected.

VanityBoot6.jpg

17. Tabbyannabel

Could the 37 be a year dating?

18. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Yeah me too! None of those jump out at me as being the size (which is also usually stamped on the soles, if they're not covered with new ones) if you find one a zero after a number always seems to indicate a whole size rather than 5 for half size. The bottom number in your picture is likely to be the style code. I would safely go with a US5 based on the measurements alone.

Interesting thought Tabby, though I've only seen uniform style post war brogues and oxfords dated inside before, and they included the whole year e.g. 1951

19. Tabbyannabel

Could they have been made for someone and therefore not needed a size?

20. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The custom made shoes I've had before do not include a shop name or shoe maker's brand, and still had a size. See this pair here.
    I don't think they had an numbers on the inside either, because they would normally relate to the design and a custom make is unique.