1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found this Ladies Opera Shawl

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Avantbo, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello,

Whilst looking for another item, I opened a sealed box. In it, wrapped carefully in acid free tissue was a Black, Ladies, Victorian Opera Cloak, with Mole Skin Fur, ( to be confirmed ). It is in an amazing state of good order although some restoration work will be required.

There is a retailer label inside and fortunately have been able to undertake some research albeit brief.

I will upload label details once, if/I know more and am sure.

Made by established, respected but not well known drapers, milners and outfitter in the South of England.

Because of the design, material, and what history I know of the retailer I think the Cloak dates to around 1885/6 but no latter then 1900.

There is nothing special about it apart from it has survived in remarkably good order.

It's well made and surprisingly heavy for a ladies shoulders I would have thought.

I would be interested to know if forum members think it Mole Fur or crushed velvet used.

The lining is in great condition but am wondering if has been replaced in the past, having said that, if that is the case, all the original filling was put back.

I'm attaching some photos, opinions and views, much appreciated.

Attached Files:

gatco likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Beautiful piece. Can you please show us a photo of the label as well.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Your evening cape is a lovely find. We need to see a close up of the "fur" in order to help determine what it is. It looks more to a faux fur or what they called "plush" with a long pile similar to a velvet. I doubt it is mole skins, as moles are quite small creatures and I am not seeing pelt lines on your fur ares. Possibly the jet piece in back was added for making it more formal.

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

So pretty. I think the trim is plush, too. I think your dating is correct.
    Marian

5. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thankyou.

I will indeed Mary Jane, I have held back posting label details just till I double check information.

6. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thank You Barbara, I will upload another photo or two of the fur used and I agree it is possible the jet piece was a later addition,

7. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thank you Marian

8. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Attached are some further close ups of the fur, hell of a job trying to get some 1/2 way decent shots, lights was bouncing off the material creating all sorts of weird images.

Real mole, faux or plush?
    Thank you

Attached Files:

9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

10. Lori Ammons

Lori Ammons Registered Guest

Awesome find! Where were you hunting when you came across this....and what were you looking for?

11. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello Lori,

First my apologies for not replying sooner.

If you search for me under " Public Information" " Introduce yourself " I gave a brief history as to my vintage collection.

I was looking for a Thomas Fox Umbrella, can't find it.

Meanwhile I am about to add what information I have from the label in the cloak, I believe there is a forum section for this.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  12. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Thank you.

13. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hello,

Have uploaded image and information to site.