1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full length fur coat (cat?)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Otherguys, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Otherguys

Otherguys Registered Guest

I received this coat in a Maximilian at Bloomingdales garment bag, but the tag was possibly removed on the inside of the coat where the previous owners name is now stitched or there never was a tag. I confirmed it is real fur, and the previous owner was a millionaire so I doubt she cheeped out on 20171124_141605-756x1008.jpg 20171124_141538-756x1008.jpg 20171124_141520-756x1008.jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Lynx - and its on the threatened list, so you can't sell it online.

Inlovewithretro likes this.
  3. Otherguys

Are you sure? There are some for sell on ebay and amazon

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

5. Otherguys

6. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

It is currently illegal to sell furs from endangered animals regardless of when the furs were first sold/purchased.

There are hefty fines to discourage people from breaking the law.

Here is a link to the Federal Trade Commission and their take on the matter:
    https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/how-comply-fur-products-labeling-act

Inlovewithretro likes this.
  7. Otherguys

I also found this on fws.gov
    "Grizzly bear, jaguar, or other U.S. species
    listed as endangered or threatened: No
    interstate or international sale of
    any type regardless of age, without a
    permit. Sale within a State allowed
    unless prohibited under State law
    Examples: Taxidermied specimens,
    rugs, clothing, and other fur articles."

8. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

I believe that the language you quoted seems to say that it is illegal to sell any threatened/endangered animal internationally or interstate..

If you are suggesting that you could legally sell it in state, I would be certain of your state laws before doing so. It's possible that your interpretation is correct, but I am not an expert in the matter.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but I personally would not feel comfortable selling lynx. It may be difficult to find a buyer, as most people are put off by wearing the skins of endangered/threatened animals. Just my two cents. Good luck!

9. Otherguys

No, thank you for your opinion, I appreciate your time. Yea I dont think ill mess with it, it appears you need to have proof it was bought before the Lynx was considered endangered. I personally hate the fact people still kill endangered animals. I inherited it from a deceased friend of my grandmother so Im not sure when it was purchased, it will atleast make for part of a great Austin Powers halloween costume next year though!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  10. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there, It is lynx and some are threatened or endangered however some are not. The link Jonathan provided was for Canadian lynx.

The lynx coat you have shown is Bobcat lynx which is okay to commercially trade within the US.

Bobcat lynx is listed within CITES under appendix II though so you would not be able to export outside of the US without a permit allowing you to do so.

If a fur is now endangered but was not when it was originally purchased, a permit of exemption could be applied for however it could not be sold unless exemption was granted.

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Only Caryn would be able to tell the difference between Canadian Lynx and Bobcat Lynx... I bow to the master!

12. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I know - she is impressive!

peaceful vintage likes this.
  13. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Awww, thank you. Compliments go a long way, especially from those who have so much expertise themselves.
    I shall pay it forward. :)

Otherguys likes this.
  14. Otherguys

Thank you Caryn!:)

peaceful vintage likes this.