1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fun "Care" label on ski pants - White Stag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Jul 25, 2016.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I'm guessing these pants are from the 30's or 40's. They have stirrups (?)

Care.jpg

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would have put them later that - I've only seen the rubber-integrated waist band in 60s/70's men's tailored trousers (the rubber usually degrades too so these must have been kept well) The style of labels look 50s/60s to me. Can we see more please?

3. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I remember that band as well from the 60s. Love that care label!

4. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I'll have to look more carefully. I had assumed in the 60's and 70's they wouldn't be talking about hanging the pants "over a rod away from the fire." I actually don't think that waist is elastic. The "s-t-r-e-t-ch" refers to the pants, not the waist. I was kind of hoping Lizzie would weigh in. I'll take some more photos soon.

5. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

White Stag must have gotten complaints about the elasticized fabric "melting" so they came up with a creative warning label! That looks like a rubberized inside waist band, and was useful for keeping a shirt or sweater tucked, and keeping the snow out.

Based purely on the label, these are late 50s or early 60s. For years White Stag used a red label for their sports clothes, then switched to blue (or the red and blue may have been used concurrently) but around 58 or 59, a white label was developed.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

No I didn't think the waist was elastic, it's literally only the white rubber threads woven through the middle that are, just for grip as it 'sticks'.

I'm wondering if they mention drying by the fire because in this period people would have been in chalets etc. with a big hearth and the temptation is probably to put anything wet in front of it. (its too early for dryers right?)