1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Funny ways to pass off minor damage on vintage

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by hatfeathers, Mar 1, 2009.

1. hatfeathers

hatfeathers VFG Member

We all know clothing can't come out completely unaffected by use...and even NOS vintage can have damage just from being stored, even if it never got worn.

I was just writing up a party dress with just a bit of repair to the hem. These thoughts crossed my mind to suggest to the new wearer to avoid the issue being noticed:

dance faster, no one will see it

if your date has his head that close to your hem and notices, he may not be into girls

if your date has his head that close to your hem and says something, he's not the kind of boy you want there

For pit stains, I once saw the seller say "just keep your arms down"

Anyone else wrote/thought of/seen any funnies?

2. I spoke to a seller yesterday who said (regarding moth holes):

"Make them a feature, don't try to hide them or cover them. Embroider their edges and show them off".

Nicole

3. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

heh heh heh

and OMG!!!
    :fainting:

4. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

On a few occasions I have written:

This flaw is so minor that no one will notice except your mother and she notices everything....

5. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

This flaw is so minor that no one will notice except your mother and she notices everything....
    :hysterical:

I love that! (Actually, my mother notices flaws that aren't even there...)

6. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I sometimes call dresses with damage "PBR" dresses, because when you're out and everyone is drinking Pabst Blue Ribbons, no one will notice the flaws.

Susan

7. Exactly! If it's an evening dress or cocktail number I always remind the ladies that it will be dark and what is obvious now won't be seen at night.

Nicole

8. JulieW

JulieW Alumni

;-)
    That is good.
    and true.
    Really anything you wear to a bar or dance hall (even a restaurant that has "romantic" lighting) can have flaws because no one will see them. I think a few times I have said that a stain can only be seen in bright sunlight...which was true.

9. avamac

avamac Alumni

It's a 60s thing....

10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think I descibed a dress as "wearable in night time lighting, but I wouldn't wear it in broad daylight to a job interview"

I also used the the line about light soil on the hemline of a 1930s satin bias cut halterdress. I said if your date noticed it, something was terribly wrong and not to go out with him again.

embroider the moth holes- love it!

Hollis

11. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

Yeah, I often say something to the effect that "nobody will notice this unless they have their eyeball right up next to it, and anyone you know well enough to get that close to won't mind the flaw." Or, and it's true, of course, that evening wear won't show minor flaws due to the lighting.