1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur coat identification HELP!!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by melody webb, Feb 8, 2020.

1. melody webb

melody webb Registered Guest

Can you all help me with identifying this coat. From others posts it appears it's a 1940s style. The label, though worn shows American Fur Co. Salt Lake City. It's in pristine condition with no tears of the fur. There are some worn areas inside from wear but that is all. It has the monogram "R", but there is stitching that was removed, which could be the letter "V". Large buttons are also covered in fur and the collar is uniquely tailored.

It's beautiful and jet black in color, not sure if it's muskrat, but it's very soft w/short pile... like a rabbit. But I know it's not rabbit.

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Can you please show an image of the back?

3. melody webb

Here is the back

Attached Files:

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

It is indeed sheared muskrat.

5. melody webb

Great! I figured they had larger pelts. And does it appear to be a 40s style vintage coat? Can you tell me anything else about this and what it may have gone for back when purchased? What is it's value today?

thanks