1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur...help with age/fur type please

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Jo bate, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Jo bate

Jo bate Registered Guest

Please could someone be so kind to help with these 2 coats...I think one is genuine fur and the darker one not as its a lot lighter and more coarse but just asking for the help of the age perhaps on that? they was in an old house in thr uk that my parents purchased..an elderly couple in their 90's had owned the property previously. The lighter colour fur is so heavy and feels like behind the silky lining is leather/heavy suede ? Just not sure what fur it would be and there's a kind of tie attached to the right underarm which is confusing me as its too high to be a belt surely ? I would be so grateful if anyone could help me with these, Thankyou so much.

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

The first coat is muskrat and looks like it dates to the 50s. There should be a little loop along the inside of the opposite edge that the inside belt can tie to that is supposed to prevent the coat from blowing up and open in the wind.

The other one is faux intended to look like mink and it looks like it is probably close to the same age.

3. Jo bate

Jo bate Registered Guest

Hello
    Firstly may I Thankyou for taking the time to read my query and also for your answer I really appreciate it I am hoping to sell them and didn't want to give any wrong info or sell anything that's phrohibited and get in trouble ! I can't find the loop on the opposite side maybe it's come off at some point... Thankyou so much

peaceful vintage likes this.
  4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I do believe that the satin belt inside was meant to simply tie around the waist to keep the coat in place.

5. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

It probably never had a loop. The original wearer probably didn't have it added prior to purchase because they didn't feel they needed it. Furriers wait to add opposite closure ends so they can fit them for the wearer. Both the belt ribbons usually go in front, one ribbon is pulled through the loop and then tied to the other.

Sometimes you can get these inside belts around the waist but they're usually tight and you can feel the belt ribbons pulling from the side seam they're attached to.