1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ozzie

Ozzie Registered Guest

Can anyone please assist in identifying the type of fur pictured.
    The age of the rug is post WW2. At least 50 years old.
    Excellent condition.
    The rug was made in Europe possibly Germany or Russia.
    The rug consists of 24 pelts. The backing is quality felt, hand stitched with scalloped edge.
    Each pelt is approximately 430mm by 250mm
    The rug size is 1400 X 1800
    Thanks,
    Ozzie

Attached Files:

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Ozzie, The fur you have there is Geoffroy's cat. It is a spotted wildcat with a head that is about the size of a domestic cat and a body that is a bit longer. Geoffroy's cat has been listed on CITES under appendix 1 since 1992 so it is prohibited from being sold commercially unless a certificate of exemption is obtained. Possible exemption can be inquired about through your local wildlife management authority.

3. Ozzie

Ozzie Registered Guest

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your reply.
    I assume you are speaking for US regulations.
    The item is in Australia.
    I tried to look through CITES but it seems to be a minefield of information.
    Most of the info in Australia relates only to live plants / animals.

As a family heirloom it is not for sale, but it would be useful to have some idea of the value for Insurance purposes.

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Ozzie, I wasn't speaking of US regulations. CITES regards the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. Any species listed under appendix 1 cannot be traded or sold internationally without a certificate of exemption and proper permitting.

Here it is listed within CITES;
    http://checklist.cites.org/#/en/search/output_layout=alphabetical&level_of_listing=0&show_synonyms=1&show_author=1&show_english=1&show_spanish=1&show_french=1&scientific_name=Leopardus geoffroyi&page=1&per_page=20

As for value we are unable to assist with valuations here. There may be some sold listings from those who obtained exemption on AU eBay but I am not sure if there are any rugs. You can check that and you can also check with a local appraiser for more information regarding value.