1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fur identification help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Chris Frisby, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Chris Frisby

Chris Frisby Registered Guest

L

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  2. Chris Frisby

Alright, I'm going to try this again. Hi guys, my name's Chris and I'm struggling today when it comes to technology. Looking for some help identifying this coat.
    Thanks for having me and many thanks to those whom helped. Screenshot_20201207-150713.png Screenshot_20201207-100745.png Screenshot_20201207-100806.png
    Looking for some help identifying this coat.

3. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi Chris. Me again. Great coat! I am not 100% sure this is buffalo (actually bison) from the photos but *think* it could be. Color is right. My experience, buffalo is shaggy, very thick. Here's a close up pic of what I mean.
    202062bullalocoat6.jpeg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

It looks a little like horsehide to me. Is it quite heavy for its size? Does the hair/fur slick to one side when you stroke it, and your hand seem to go against the hairs when you stroke in the opposite direction? I think it is quite old--from the early 1900's rural mail delivery days by horse or open truck, for example.
    Information about Mr Crownie can be found here: https://ir.uiowa.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=4882&context=annals-of-iowa

Apparently the company is still in business by his descendants. You could try contacting them. http://www.cowniefurs.net/
    Marian

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I was thinking the same but it *could* be sheared buffalo too though you don't see that often in a man's coat... just can't tell without a close up pic.

But if it's horsehide... it will not feel as soft as buffalo and each individual hair is coarser.

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

From the way the pelts appear to be sewn together, this is made from a much smaller animal. Also, the fur fur looks smoother to me, So yes, a close up would be helpful.

7. Chris Frisby

I don't know how or why I'd not seen these comments before now. I am just now learning this device. (Devices in general)
    Thank God! I found you! The coat has since arrived. I will get more pictures.
    I have contacted JH Cownie glove company, and spoken with one of Mr. Cownies kin. A knowledgeable source it seems. She states from photographs "Could be buffalo" , what they call " chunked" in the trade but "pieced" to the client. I think it resembles patchwork, which I love.
    I do, after having it a while believe it to shorn buffalo. it's a beater and a keeper.
    IMG_20201219_134324011.jpg IMG_20201219_134313639.jpg

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi Chris... if you can get some nice pics in good, clean daylight, that'd be best.

But it's a FAB looking coat!